Original topic:

Camera not using the Telephoto lens in 5x zoom in the camera app

(Topic created on: 03-02-2021 05:13 PM)
Kingshraga
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hey - I noticed something annoying with my note 20 ultra 5g

When I choose the 5x zoom button on the camera (one tree) or scroll to 5X zoom, I see that the phone doesn't use the 5X zoom (telephoto) camera, and it's just using the main wide camera with digital zoom.

When I hit the 10X zoom mark, it switches to the telephoto lens.

Why is that??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MadalinK
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Hey! Yes I have noticed that. My theory is that because of the aperture of the 5x telephoto camera is f3.0, it doesn't switch to it when in low-ish light, otherwise the pictures would turn out too dark!
The 10x zoom is hybrid, so it uses info from both the main 108MP camera (f1.8) and the 12MP telephoto camera (f3.0)

Does that make sense? 😀

Current phone : Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G 512GB

View solution in context

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15
Solution
MadalinK
Troubleshooter
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Hey! Yes I have noticed that. My theory is that because of the aperture of the 5x telephoto camera is f3.0, it doesn't switch to it when in low-ish light, otherwise the pictures would turn out too dark!
The 10x zoom is hybrid, so it uses info from both the main 108MP camera (f1.8) and the 12MP telephoto camera (f3.0)

Does that make sense? 😀

Current phone : Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G 512GB
0 Likes
Kingshraga
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Yep, that was my theory - tested it indoors vs outdoors (or adequate lighting scenario) and I saw that it switches automatically between the telephoto and the wide - That's a shame.

+ I noticed that the telephoto camera isn't that great by itself.

Ammar Razif
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hi. Not really. When i bought new it always will change to optical zoom whenever i select 5x zoom (photo/video). now only will change at 10x zoom. I notice after recent few months back update this only happen. hope Samsung can have a re-check back on this.

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 256GB

SluggoTR
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Yes, I have absolutely noticed this and it only started recently for me. I hate it, I think the telephoto is almost always better at 5x then the standard lens. At 5x the standard is so blurry that I just don't care about the light levels.

If you want to force the telephoto, I found a very stupid hack. Zoom to 5x and put your finger over the main sensor. After a second it will switch over to the telephoto, you can see the image switch to sharp.

I hope Samsung undoes whatever update broke this, or give me the option to choose the sensor if I want. 

Dolby109
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

No, this is not a solution.  Yes the phone won't use the 5X lens in low light, however in any normal light it used to switch to the 5x lens right at 5x. 
Now it WILL NOT DO IT no matter how good the light is at 5X, and as stated usually takes crossing 10X to actually switch.  To take photos in the 5X range I have to zoom in too much, then hit the 5X button and take a good picture before the phone switches back to 500% digital zoom.
Some software update screwed our phones up...the only reason I paid such a massive price for this phone was the 5X lens and now it doesn't work.
FIX IT SAMSUNG!

Shajaan
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I have updated to the latest firmware and the problem is still there. I do not care if the picture becomes too dark that is my choice. Specially when in PRO mode you can not use the tele lens at all. Please Samsung fix this and I do not understand it is marked as solved.

I feel that my phone has been downgraded. 

SluggoTR
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@samsung , this is NOT "solved". Let us choose which camera we want to use, you're releasing a Pro mode with this feature for the S21, let us have that too

https://twitter.com/FrontTron/status/1463337169548832771?s=20

MR JACK
First Poster
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Mine telephoto camera  don't even move forward and backward when I zoom in and out, it used to do that when I bought it..can someone pls confirm is it normal?

0 Likes
RayLeeJackson
Journeyman
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I'm also here because of the camera lense ERROR - because that's what this is - an error in the "update". I have to zoom to 10X for the lense to change. Samsung, let us choose lens! Without this option, the phones camera is useless. Note 20 ultra.

0 Likes