Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a repaired phone off eBay

(Topic created on: 23-04-2022 12:53 AM)
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
I am planning on buying a repaired Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra off of eBay. The repair was carried out by the seller's insurance company 'Assurant' by replacing a cracked screen. They replaced the screen (and the frame too), the back cover (no longer shows IMEI info at the bottom), and the battery. 

My question is: Does the phone still have Samsung's manufacturer warranty or is Assurant not certified by Samsung?
0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Generally, repairs done by third parties I would have thought invalidate warranties. Unless it's an approved agent.
The back cover wouldn't have details like the imei number. Usually the certification marks and model details
Repairs are only as good as the repair that's been done. So things like water resistance is possibly compromised
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
I too heard that as long as it's a an approved agent it won't affect warranty. So the question is, is Assurant certified by Samsung?
As for the back cover, it definitely does have the IMEI printed on it. Even the Note 8 I'm using now has it and photos of other Samsung phones show it too.
I agree that there is a high chance water resistance is compromised. I don't plan on dunking it in water, but as long as it can handle humid environments and a little rain then it's fine for me.
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Just looked and not noticed imei number on the back cover before. Sure my Note 20 Ultra didn't have it but my S22 Ultra does
As for insurance approved repairers. Probably best to speak to Samsung Customer Support
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
Thanks, I might just have to do that. I was hoping I could get an answer from others who may have more understanding about Assurant here since there are samsung support staff tend to be here too (I think).
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
May well do.
Just need to wait until they respond
Just some of us that are still up in the early hours 😊
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Assurant aren't necessarily the issue, it is who they used for the repair work. It may well have been done by an approved Samsung repairer but you will never be able to find out as the new owner. Assurant won't tell you and I doubt the current owner knows if the phone was sent to Assurant for appraisal before repair.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Sabir1    I agree that  it is likely not just a question of Assurant but the Repairer, may be difficult to  find out that information and  if the case need to decide if warranty a crucial issue for you.

In my view an element of risk in using ebay for devices (particularly if an individual) seller may have a decent history that you can check though.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
I see. Since the warranty is uncertain, I could assume it doesn't have it anymore. I am also looking at a Note 10+5g. Since it's been 3 years, is there any way to get warranty on it or has it been expired for this model with no way of getting one?
0 Likes