Original topic:

Buying a note 20 Ultra in America for use in the UK

(Topic created on: 23/11/20 18:28)
FoxMay
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hey everyone,

Read lots about the two chips in the Note 20 Ultra phones and feel like I would want the Snapdragon 865. 

My mum lives in the US so I'm considering buying on there and using it in the UK.

I've done a fair amount of reading and I can't see any reason why this would be a problem, as long as the phone was unlocked. Do anyone know any different? Has anyone else done this? 

This would be my first Samsung phone, having done lots of reading I think it would be a good fit for my lifestyle/needs, but out of interest, would anyone have any suggestions about other phones that might be worth investigating?

With thanks,

41 REPLIES 41
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

@KierBarn 

WondaMobile 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.0/ Android 11.

0 Likes
KierBarn
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Thank you BandOfBrothers. When you ordered your note, did the 5G work? And what’s is voLTE? I’m guessing Samsung pay doesn’t work but does everything else work including the 5G?

Also, can I just get a regular pay as you go sim here and put it in the phone and it will work fine?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

voLTE is the ability to make a phone call over a 4G connection which offers a better experience than over 2G or 3G

A person not able to use voLTE because their network or phone does not allow it would make a call over 2G or 3G. Their data connection would drop from 4G while in a call.

The phone I purchased is sim free so it accepts any network sim card and also there is no Region Lock.

My Payg sim cards work fine as it's dual sim too.

I've read from others that 5G works on some networks but not for others but I can't give you my personal experience as I'm on Payg so currently 5G isn't available to me anyway. That said as 5G currently is really only for faster downloads of large files and it's a hit and miss affair if you can latch onto 5G I'm not concerned.

I use Google Pay personally and that works as it should.

I've not used Samsung Pay as I don't like the way it works.  

i.e with Google Pay I just put the phone close to the reader.

With Samsung Pay you have to swipe up.

I use full gestures instead of the navigation bar on my phone so that may get in the way too @KierBarn 

Hope that helps.

If you have any further questions then please don't hesitate to ask  :smiling-face:

Current Phone ~

0 Likes
KierBarn
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

What do you mean by full gestures? And does Bixby and everything work?

Thank you for all your help 

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Hi @KierBarn 

See from my screenshot of my homescreen that I don't have the buttons at the bottom such as hone button and back button and multi tasking but instead a line.

If I swipe up slowly that opens up my multi tasking pages. If I swipe up fast that acts as the Home button and I swipe from the edge of my screen to go back.

Screenshot_20201123-130530_One UI Home.jpg

 Bixby works but I turn that off as it's not something I use.

Current Phone ~

0 Likes
KierBarn
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Oh I see what you mean, I thought you meant that’s something you can’t change but it’s in the settings. Can’t wait to get my hands on one as they look amazing. Thank you for all your help

0 Likes
Frederickdawg
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

you probably won't get carrier aggregation.

0 Likes
KierBarn
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

What do you mean?

0 Likes
Frederickdawg
Explorer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

Research what carrier aggregation does and how it benefits the end user. 

I also failed to mention you probably won't get any 5G service either. All these by using the USA model in the UK.

0 Likes
KierBarn
Apprentice
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

I was told by many people that if works find over here and the 5G just depends on the network apparently 

0 Likes