Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Awful low light photos

(Topic created on: 02-11-2020 09:09 PM)
MadalinK
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
So far I've enjoyed the design and the new add-ons of the Note 20 Ultra, but my god it is a huge disappointment when it comes to low light photos. Even my Note 10+ did a much better job. 

See the example below. Both taken using 50x zoom ( Samsung S20 Ultra and Samsung Note 20 Ultra ). 

What's going on ?? Surely it can't be me, since both photos were taken using the auto setting (Photo mode). The camera module was clean and there was no fog or clouds. 

I have the latest software update installed 

Current phone : Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G 512GB
15 REPLIES 15
Yas1320
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
yep I've found the night mode very disappointing. I was expecting better results. although mine isn't as bad with note 20 ultra. the bottom of the image is very blurry.

20201031_202125_6396.jpg

MadalinK
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Exactly. Usually the image gets very blurry and has a lot of noise towards de edges. Could it be because of the super large sensor ? Even so, this is quite bad and I am really hoping that future updates will improve this. Some night images simply can't be used, I've always been very proud and excited to share my pictures taken at night with my Note 10+

0 Likes
MadalinK
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
Also I've noticed that when zoomed in, there is a lot of struggle to focus. No matter where I tapped on the screen, it just wouldn't focus. The camera is one of the top reasons I chose to upgrade this year, even though I had reservations about switching.
🙁

20201101_214010_42250.jpg

0 Likes
Yas1320
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
same here, it doesn't focus. I had an update today but hasn't made a difference. hopefully the 3.0 ui update will sort it out.
NinaWildeUK
Navigator
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
night mode is awful, I am extremely disappointed considering how well they made out it worked
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

The focus windows due to the sensor size is narrow, when using a camera mode be sure that you have what you want in focus by tapping on it.

Regarding the moon shot it looks like it is a noise problem, where you on a tripod? Where the conditions the same as the s20 ultra shot?

MadalinK
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
That is what I thought about the sensor size, but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be post-processed by the software. It just looks awful this way 😕
Related to the focusing at night, I just want to capture the entire scene, not a particular spot in the frame.
Like I said, I am really hoping that future updates will solve this issue because it is very noticeable and ruins the entire shot in my opinion.

Both moon shots were taken while the phone was handheld and the conditions were exactly the same for both phones. I did try multiple times and got slightly better results, but still nothing close to the samples I saw when the Note 20 first came out. I'm thinking that it was ruined by updates, because the hardware is the same as it was 3 months ago.

0 Likes
MadalinK
Helping Hand
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series
I know, I feel the same. Coming from my now inferior Note 10+, I expected the night mode on this new Note 20 Ultra to be ever so sightly improved, but I find it's the opposite. I simply loved the night shots taken with my Note 10+ and people always admired the quality, but this is not the case anymore.

0 Likes
Yas1320
Pioneer
Options
Galaxy Note20 Series

If we take this video into account https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q1_IcRBoOY , we're not getting results anywhere near this.

0 Likes