Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate multiple eSIMS

(Topic created on: 28-07-2021 11:09 AM)
luuk777w
Apprentice
Options

I have been using an eSIM and a SIM together for a while now. This morning I received a message from my provider where I currently have a physical SIM that I can switch to eSIM. So, that's what I did, but after removing my physical SIM I noticed that I cannot activate two eSIMS at the time.

Why is this? What is the point of the eSIM if you can't even activate multiple eSIMS simultaneously? Or do I have something not configured right?

I am using the Note 20 Ultra.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You need to ask your carrier. It may have been a mass mailing and they didn't take into account those with active esims but they are the only ones that can confirm that.

You can only have one esim active at the same time AFAIK.

As for what is the point of the esim, you already know as you have one.
0 Likes
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
I was always under the assumption that if a device supports a esim its only 1 'e'number... not multiple. For example when I used my LTE smart watch... the set up only showed one profile available for a esim... not 2, 3 or more.

Personally, I prefer the old fashioned dual sim card systems... flexibility etc.
0 Likes
luuk777w
Apprentice
Options

Well, I don't see the point if you can only have one eSIM. If you could have at least two eSIMs active simultaneously it would make sense because manufacturers could eventually remove the SIM tray. 

But with the limitation that you can only have one eSIM you still need the SIM tray, and you still need to transfer that one physical SIM to another phone.

Only allowing one eSIM active at the time feels like a half baked implementation to me.

Of course, not everyone has multiple SIMs, but for someone like me who lives in two countries it is a must have.

Killen
First Poster
Options

Having only 1 esim active is definitely half baked implementation. One other thing that I don’t like with esims is that you can’t migrate the esim when you change phone.

Meehow
First Poster
Options

Migrating an esim to another phone is possible, network provider permitting. Some allow it by simply redownloading the esim through the apps, others make it more difficult or at times even impossible without visiting a physical store. 

0 Likes
Coool
Student
Options

The pixle 7 pro allows 2 esims active at the same time 

0 Likes
Surffari
First Poster
Options

If Pixel can do it, there's no reason why Samsung couldn't do it.

I live in 2 countries and have had OnePlus'es for ages which sport a dual SIM tray.
Just got Z Fold 4 and made my primary SIM go e. I am also traveling quite a bit, so I thought this is handy!!
I can have both post paid as eSIMs and then use a physical prepaid when travelling in different countries for data. Pretty soon discovered that only one eSIM can be used at a time which was a HUGE disappointment from Samsung which should be a leader in this industry.

Hopefully, this is something that can be enabled/fixed with software update. 

0 Likes
jadin89
First Poster
Options

I work for an MVNO. An eSIM is not purely a software SIM, it's an Embedded SIM, IE, it's a microchip included on the device itself, pretty similar to a normal SIM, that has the ability to switch profiles. Asking why you can't enable more than one eSIM at a time is like asking why one physical SIM card isn't two SIM cards, it just doesn't have the capability to run two profiles at the same time. This is not a 'half baked' solution, it's an Embedded SIM solution. To get around this the manufacturer would need to include two or more eSIM chips on the device, given the limited use case for this it's unlikely that manufacturers would incur the additional cost. 

I can't really think of a use case for more than two active cellular connections on a device at a time, however having the ability to switch between up to 20 installed eSIM profiles seems like overkill but should satisfy even the busiest traveler.

The 'hassle' of switching between profiles if you are travelling is not worth the additional cost and power consumption to include additional eSIM chips on the device. 

0 Likes
Surffari
First Poster
Options

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm still thinking whether it would be possible to achieve with one chip. I remember from my time with Nokia, when some chearper dual sim models had only one radio, which was used in turn by both SIMs which effectively simulated 2 SIMs working at the same time.

You can speak on you on behalf, but as an expat who travels a lot, I practically would preferably have the SIM from my home country and the country of residence on at the same time. And then occasianally a SIM card of the country I am visiting. Especially when so many ***** services use SMS verification etc. 

0 Likes