Support

Open search

Note20 Ultra Heating Up?

Highlighted
Back for More
Update: Day 3, after a full charge, and battery has lasted really well and have no issues with over heating. Used it light to moderate and by the end of the 24 hour period, after the 3rd charge cycle I still have 69%. Day 2 showed  similar pattern, with just under 50% left at the end of night. Stark contrast to day 1 where the battery didn't last the full24 hours. 
Its still early days but I've come to the conclusion that this phone is a beast of a handset and it needs time to calibrate, as does the battery. It does seem to get better as the days go on.
Also, I think it does not like heat very much, it is a beast afterall, big powerful phone, big battery and so performs less well in very warm conditions. But in general I have not had the issues with the phone heating up, that I had on the first day.
Will update again in a few days.

Hi, anyone experiencing the Note20 Ultra getting really hot when using the camera? I noticed the phone getting significantly hot in my hand and had to switch it off to cool down for a while. Should I be concerned? No other apps or tabs were open, only the camera and I was not recording, just taking a few photos. To be fair, it was a fairly warm day but still, should it heat up this easily? Battery life was not good at all either.

Not sure I like this, considering the premium price tag.
Also, is the back of the phone (Note20 Ultra, Mystic Bronze), definitely glass because it feels and looks like plastic?
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

I've heard it an heat up after prolonged gaming periods of intensive gaming @EllyH 

However I've not come across anything yet saying it heats up from using the camera.

As you say it's a warm day and your hands add heat I would soft reboot the phone by turning it Off and On and then try again.

Please let us know how you get on. 

Stay Safe 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-9820 _256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 2.5/ Android 10.

Highlighted
Hi, I did try switching it on and off but it made no difference. In the end, I just had to switch it off and leave it off for about 20 mins to get it to cool down. Also, some of the camera features wouldn't work such as pro mode. I just kept getting a blank screen when I selected it. I don't know if this was something I was doing or because it was getting so hot. Pro mode worked fine earlier at home before I went out.
Highlighted

For what its worth, my Note 20 (not ultra) also has heating issues when using camera, my wife's Note 9 didn't have any heat ups, we both were clicking pics at the same location. It looks like camera is using a lot of processing power and heating up the phone..

Also have noticed heating issues when using wireless 10w charger at night, phone looks like was hot for the whole night.. 😞

Highlighted
yes i am experiencing the same issue
Highlighted

I am also experiencing the issue with my Note 20 Ultra heating up.  When I doing a lot of scrolling thru webpages the phone can get very warm.  Its a little concerning because I wonder if that is reducing the life of the phone.  Heat is the enemy to electronics.

Highlighted
Apprentice

It is the Exynos chip probably... 

This is what cpu monitor says with just the app open, not touching the phone: https://i.imgur.com/pxXraQR.png

29 degrees and 23% cpu usage.

This is after giving the screen just 1 quick tap: https://i.imgur.com/nXXyA0h.png

Temp was about the same, since it was just 1 short spike. But as you can see, the cpu usage spiked to 68% just from 1 tap.
Imagine this while scrolling through apps.

Leaving the camera app on, on both my 3 year old note 8 and note 20 ultra, after only 3 minutes the note 8 only lost 1% battery and was stable at 32 degrees. The note 20 however had lost 6% already and was at 40-41 degrees and was still very slowly rising.

Highlighted
The exynos chip probably is part of the issue. Although, I've noticed snapdragon users having the similar issues. What I've since found though, is it seems to gradually get better each day. It's like the phone needs a calibration period before performing optimally. I've barely had any issue with heating or battery drain compared to day 1, which was horrendous. Looking much more positive now 🤞
Highlighted
What I've since found though, is it seems to gradually get better each day. It's like the phone needs a calibration period before performing optimally. I've barely had any issue with heating or battery drain compared to day 1, which was horrendous. Looking much more positive now 🤞
Highlighted

I don't think you understood my comment. My battery drain during idle is fine. The temperature during my usage is manageable. 

I was just pointing out where the high temperature comes from, 'especially' when using the camera.

The temperature is a real problem using the camera, as the heat, at least on my note 20 gets uncomfortable to touch and it drains the battery a lot quicker than it should.
"The note 20 however had lost 6% already and was at 40-41%" < the last part should be 40-41 degrees not %.

Edit: I should add that after explaining this and showing the screenshots from my previous comment + the battery usage screen. The samsung support made me reset my phone. Since then I haven't heard back from them :))

Top Liked Authors