Support

Open search

Are Samsung going to release a patch for the N20 Ultra poor battery life on Exynos?

Highlighted
SOLVED
Navigator

Well that's nearly 2 weeks with the handset and the battery life has not improved as they said it would.

Shutting down this, changing that, turning off 5G, changing display settings .... nothing has made any real difference.

We're lucky in the UK having 28 days for returns but it would be nice if Samsung could acknowledge if they consider the widely publicized poor battery life as an actual issue and that they are working on a fix.

If nothing is going to be changed I'd be as well return the handset now and look for something else.

I'm not even sure if Samsung even read posts on their own forums, there's only one guy ever seems to respond but he's nothing to do with Samsung (apparently)

39 REPLIES 39
Highlighted

@roryh86 wrote:
p.s the Snapdragon is only roughly 10% better. Exynos Note usually dies when the Snapdragon version still has around 10-13% battery left. Is 10% a deal-breaker?

Yes it is. If I was all alone, having a heart attack in a ditch somewhere and I had the Snapdragon equivalent with only 8% battery remaining then I could make that 999 call and possibly save my life!

Battery life on my sim free S10+ has always been poor compared to other phones (non Samsung) I have owned and used and so has overall reception. I had it swapped out for another brand new unit but same results. I'm not the only one and I have seen similar posts for the S20 series. Samsung for you! So obsessed with making phones so thin and light regardless if they won't last the end user until the end of the day.

At the end of the day, if you don't like it, send it back. If you do and you don't mind having to keep popping it on charge then keep it.

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung Phone User.
Current Phone ~

Samsung S10+ 128Gb > Model: SM-G975F. Samsung One Ui 2.5 / Android 10.

Samsung Galaxy Watch3 > Model: SM-R840.
Samsung Galaxy Buds+ > Model: SM-R175.
Highlighted

@kradcliffe wrote:

Lucky you, I'm getting 4.5 to 5.5 hours SOT

It could just be a dodgy battery in this handset but I can't really be arsed getting a replacement and setting it up all over again to have exactly the same issue.

Get it swapped out. If you have these battery issues from day 1 and do nothing, by day 365 it's probably going to be a lot worse! I got my retail sim free S10+ swapped out after a week because of poor wifi, battery and reception and although I had the same problems with the replacement (brand new sealed in the box) phone, I now know that it's just a crappy phone overall and not down to an individual fault on my phone.

Current Phone ~

Highlighted
Navigator

I swapped it for the Note 10 plus and its been excellent. Great battery life from day one. 

Highlighted

@NoteGuyIreland wrote:
I have had my Exynos for two weeks now and I'm on 8-9 SoT, nothing turned off or down to achieve that.
My Note 10 plus 5G was a bit better though but the difference is maybe 10%
I'll take the 120hz display over that no problem.

8-9 hours of SOT with everything turned on or at max settings is a bold claim. 

P.S. Everyone is still waiting for you to post a screenshot of your battery stats from within device care.

Current Phone ~

Highlighted
Navigator
samsung batteries are *****! it will never get fixed! go and buy an iphone
Highlighted
First Poster
i have same problem with note 20 ultra,i make battery test and they say like everything its good bla bla bla....and now after 3 weeks i make 2nd appointment and i will give them back the phone((((
Highlighted

7 hours 45 min screen on time is not bad. I am now testing how long it takes if i switch to 60hz all day with bluetooth on. So far I have been using the phone to do browsing and watching clips - (total of 2h50min SOT).  Now with 58% batt left. To be honest, 60hz is not that bad. (Plan to use 120hz only for gaming).

Addressing the Screen looks washed out. I am not sure if this has anything to do with the screen brightness.  I have been posting here that the screen brightness is auto-adjusted to lower nits when the phone gets hot (Adaptive brightness is set to OFF). I set to max brightness when i use the phone outside at noon time under the sun. After a while the phone gets warmer and the screen is no longer as bright as before. Its looks more like 50% brightness.  But the brightness level bar is still at full 100%.  I wrote to Samsung. They got back to me to do all sorts of troubleshooting which is a waste of time. Turned out to be true that it is a waste of time. I wrote to them again demanding them to do the testing instead of asking me to bring the phone down to service centre for checking. I even told them I would volunteer to test using their demo set and show the result.  Finally they admitted that it is the software that is auto-adjusting the brightness down to prevent overheating. 

Highlighted
First Poster

Quite bad news for battery just know, all 865 CPU will have battery issue no matter what brand, I am hesitating to switch to old phone or still using note 20.

Highlighted
Explorer

I think it's safe to assume that it you typical battery screen on times are anything from 4 to 8 hours on the exynos model. I value battery life debloated my device and don't run that fancy 120hz. I get about 7-9 hours of screen on time. But with all the bells and whistles enabled cut that figure in half.

Not being rude, but all their bells and whistles plus battery hogging apps like Snapchat and Facebook are battery leaches. Regardless of how much one paid for a device.

Highlighted

Indeed. I'm no Samsung fan boy and have owned various Samsung snapdragon models in the past. If one don't tweak out of the box then one won't get good battery SOT times. I'm currently using a dual sim non 5G Note 20 Ultra and its been good for me. Caveat is I use 60hz and debloated but that's how what I do with all my devices. 

Top Liked Authors