Support

Open search

5x Zoom Photos are very poor - what am I doing wrong?

Highlighted
Apprentice

So I got my Note 20 Ultra last week and have been playing around with the camera. Standard photos are fine but the 5x zoom ones I've taken so far all look very poor. They don't look like they've been taken with an optical zoom at all... they look like digital crops that have also had a lot of processing applied to them. They barely look acceptable on the phone but on PC or the moment you zoom in even slightly they look terrible. 

Here's an example - this is the original photo, I haven't cropped it or done anything to it. I haven't changed any of the camera settings yet either, its still on the defaults. I tapped on the single tree icon in the camera app to go to 5x mode and that's it.

I'm praying that there's some magic setting(s) somewhere that I need to change because if this is the quality I am supposed to be seeing then I'm going to cry...

Please help.

20200824_124535.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
GrandMaster

I have seen that sometimes the phone has some glitch and at 5x it continued cropping on the main onstead of switching lense. Till this software bug is fixed i advise you when you zoom to go till 50x and then back to 5x so you cam be sure it was taken with the optical.

To further check if this is not the case take a look at the details of a photo taken at 1x and look for the lenght of the objective (in mm) and the aperture.

Then go to the telephotos which came out bad and look at the details if they are the same do what i told you if they are different they were shoot with the telephoto so we need a different approach.

Let me know asap🙂

Archer
Highlighted

OK - that image above (supposedly taken at 5x) shows up as 7mm with an aperture of f1.8 - exactly the same as the 1x image like you said! So basically you cannot be sure it's using the optical zoom until AFTER you've taken a photo, by which time the shot has probably been lost forever...

That's a pretty serious glitch for a device so heavily marketed on the quality of its camera! Not seen this mentioned in any of the reviews I've seen either.

I take a lot of photos on my phone - this is going to drive me crazy until it is sorted. 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

Drag it to 50x for a few secs and then 5x to be sure to use it. Hope the bug gets sorted out quickly

Archer
Highlighted
Apprentice

Thanks I'll definitely give that a try when I'm out and about tomorrow. Out of interest do you know if Samsung are actually aware of this issue? I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere else...

Highlighted

I don't think so. I know it myself because i tested it on a store unit out of curiosity to verify that did not have flaws and did not expect to find such bug

Archer
Highlighted
First Poster
unfortunately I think this is intended behaviour, it is using a digital crop when you have less than ideal lighting, I.e. an indoor photo not in direct bright sunlight. With the optical zoom it would likely have to use a longer exposure to get a bright enough image and would introduce motion blur due to the combination of exposure and zoom so it chooses to use a cropped digital zoom. if you take a photo at 5x in bright daylight outdoors as a test, I suspect it will look much better.
Highlighted
Apprentice

I sincerely hope that's not true because the resulting images are garbage. My 2 year old Huawei Mate 20 can give me a terrific image at 5x with the exact same lighting conditions and I think that only has a 2x optical zoom! 

Highlighted
Explorer
When is Samsung going to apologise for the shocking camera quality beyond 5x zoom! Not a cheap phone
Top Liked Authors