Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video recording limited to 3.8 GB?

(Topic created on: 10-12-2019 04:04 PM)
dcavni
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I just wan't to ask if it's normal for a phone with 256 GB of memmory, that maximum reecorded video file size is 3.8 GB?

2 days ago i recorded a whole concert with Filmic pro app in 4K 30 FPS. Duration 2,5 hours. What supprised me, that in the end i ended up with 23 files sized 3,8 GB, that overlapped for a few seconds. What's the point in this, that the phone with such a large memmory cannot record more that 3,8 GB in size?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options

Thats disappointing if thats the case! 

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@dcavni: This sounds like a limitation of the Filmic Pro app rather than the phone. I know that on the Camera app, if you film in UHD 60FPS then you are restricted to a 5 minute recording to prevent any issues with internal storage space, so it's likely that a similar feature is in place on the Filmic Pro app.
0 Likes
dcavni
Explorer
Options

How could you have internal storage space issue with 256 GB of memmory?

I will copy you response from the app developer on Google Play:

Hi Daniel, yeah, sadly, Android doesn't support files higher than 4GB natively (the APIs don't support it), so we have to split the files... with a minor overlap so no data is lost. If we remove this overlap, you may miss some video/audio samples. Hopefully Google will remove this limitation eventually.Thank you for your review and have a nice day!

I mean in year 2019 4GB limit...No words.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
I understand your frustration, however the feature is place to stop users eating up their storage. Even with 256GB, that only allows for 64 4GB/5 minute videos, and the restriction avoids the scenario of the phone being unable to save a captured video because it exceeds your limit.
0 Likes
dcavni
Explorer
Options

You do know, that phones come with expandable storage and USB cable to transfer files to computer? Because that is realy realy bad excuse for limiting users to 4 GB file size limit (like users are not awere how much storage they have left). Look's like premium isn't so premium after all. Please fix this nonsense ASAP.

It's practicaly imposible to make a 10 minute long 4K video in one sequence... with a phone that costs 1K EURos...

0 Likes
dcavni
Explorer
Options

And if i may add. Limiting Third party software to only have acess to Normal and Wide angle camera and not the Telephoto is just leveling you with Apple, where limits are the only known way of use. Limiting the user to selection of cameras, limiting the size of files when there is more than enough storage and commercializing the phone as the next best thing with all those cameras and such limits is just wrong for such price.

It looks like i practicaly bougt an Iphone with different brand name. Hardware is capable but it's software disabled (That also goes for removed VoIP capabilities ). For the future i just may ditch the S-Pen and buy a Xiaiomi for 1/3 of the price and with same software diasabilities. Nothing to lose here even if i come frome Note 4.

0 Likes
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options

I will be going back to Huawei or may consider the Xiaomi phones too. 

Really regret buying this phone and being two months in to my contract cannot do anything about it. Sick of the bloatware, the bugs and possibly one of the worst camera on a flagship at the moment. 

0 Likes
cotesy
First Poster
Options

The 4Gb limitation comes from a 32-bit based operating system and is still an issue with programs produced using the C programming language. They decided to come up with a different file format back in 1996 for 64 bit computing which back then was mainly PCs with the introduction of Windows 7 being the first OS to operate fully 64-bit providing you had a 64-bit processor.  Microsoft's efforts were initially NTFS and later with a more universally acceptable format called ExFAT. Many linux ( and therby Unix) based operating systems were still limited to 32 bit, hence the 4gb barrier, with many only just going all 64-bit in the last couple of years.  Many of the phones still work on unix based systems in the form of Android and many apps are programmed using C.  Android only went 64 bit at version 5.  Apple only changed to totally 64bit back in 2018.

Chances are the limit is the software used or the format of the storage if its a plugin card.

0 Likes