Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Drive connected via OTG media access

(Topic created on: 23-04-2021 02:41 PM)
sneike1
Journeyman
Options

I often connect SD cards or hard drives to my phone via OTG to edit videos or work on pictures. But unfortunately it looks like the stock Gallery app and also other apps such as KineMaster, Power Director, Google Photos etc can't see the drive and access the media.  Is there something I'm missing?

I can't believe we can't do it with this device, it is so focused on editing videos and content creation, how am I supposed to do it if I can't connect a USB drive to work from?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @sneike1 ,

are you able to tell me what OTG adapter/connect are you using? Are you able to see the drive on the phone at all? 

0 Likes
sneike1
Journeyman
Options

@TessM wrote:

Hi @sneike1 ,

are you able to tell me what OTG adapter/connect are you using? Are you able to see the drive on the phone at all? 

I tried the original OTG adapter that comes in the box, and a third party made by Aukey. 

Of course I can see the drive on the phone, both the system and any file manager can see it. The issue is that folders containing media are not detected by the stock gallery app, Google photos, or any other Video editing app like Kinemaster, power director etc. I suspect it's the normal behavior, but I think it's absurd. How am I supposed to work on video editing if I can't access my files stored on an external drive?

Can you please confirm how it's supposed to be?

TessM
Mastermind
Options

Have these files being added to the memory using a PC? Are you able to open any other type of files on the phone?

0 Likes
Far_Ken
Student
Options

This issue is the same on brand new Galaxy S21 Ultra.

External usb drive files are visible via My Files app, but not via Gallery.

Can this be fixed please? 

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

That may indicate that the format of the images may be different than the ones taken by the phone camera, so this cannot be displayed on the Gallery app @Far_Ken 

0 Likes
Far_Ken
Student
Options

If I copy the same files across to internal memory using My Files, they display just fine in Gallery.

So the issue is not file type. The issue seems to be that My Files has some kind of access rights or indexing to external Usb memory which is not granted to stock gallery app, Google photos, or any other Video editing app like Kinemaster, power director etc

Members_yTmeZvh
First Poster
Options

Problem still not resolved. 2 years and still you can't do anything with the files saved on the flash drive using the application on the phone. Wake up Samsung.

0 Likes