Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapdragon updates when not in the UK?

(Topic created on: 28-03-2020 06:42 AM)
st3v1e
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a Note 10 plus 5G, but read online that there may be issues with updates if I'm travelling overseas. I live in New Zealand, but we only have the Exynos version here, and I'd much prefer the Qualcom/Snapdragon processor if I'm spending this amount on a new phone.

Does anyone know if there will be issues with updates . . .  or indeed, any other problems if i purchase from a UK store (maybe Amazon) and have it shipped to NZ?

Thanks

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

From what I've read there can be issues when a person imports a phone to use in another country known as a grey import @st3v1e 

I've known people buy from amazon before and what they've ended up with is a Samsung phone that's unlocked to all networks but has the XEU CsC which is a phone nkt supplied directly via Samsung and these phones in my own personal experience can get updates slower too.

Also take into account a Regional  Lock that Samsung imposes on their phones. 

So a person needs to use  a sim card from the same regional origin as the phone for at least 10 minutes of total talktime will remove the regional lock and then will allow a person to use a sim card from any other region.

Or in some cases the Samsung Support Department for the phones country of origin can remotely remove the region lock.

i-inserted-a-new-sim-card-and-now-it-is-asking-me-for-a-pin-or-unlock-code-to-unlock-it 

Updates can be slower or in some cases non existent.

Also if an issue arises that you need support from a Samsung Experience Store  / Samsung Service Centre they may decline such support due to the manufacturing warranty Terms and Conditions. Definitely check that out on your countries Samsung website.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
st3v1e
Apprentice
Options

Wow,

So samsung are forcing those of us in "Exynos" countries to use an inferior processor. Not at all happy about that - may need to reconsider buying if thats the case. either that or I may ask a freind to buy/insert a UK sim, use it for a week, then send it out to me - will this overcome this problem with the updates?

Thanks for the detailed reply BandOfBrothers, very helpful.

Stay safe.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome for my reply @st3v1e 

It's also worth noting the Samsung Note 10+ 5G I purchased directly from a Samsung Experience Store in the UK is a Exynos version.Screenshot from phoneinfo.Screenshot from phoneinfo.

To be honest I've had zero issues with it. 

May I ask what issues you've heard they can have ?

From what I've read they perform better than the Qualcomm SnapDragon variants.  :winking-face:

Asking a friend to buy the phone for you directly from Samsung (we have Samsung Experience Highstreet Store Stores in the UK or they can use the online Samsung Shop ), and they use a UK network sim card in the phone and make some voice calls to a local number for over 10 minutes will remove the Region Lock definitely which will then allow you to insert your own sim card from then on.

Weighing up shipping costs and please apply the best insurance while in transit you can.

Phones directly bought from Samsung are unlocked to all networks and recieve updates direct from Samsung.

In regards to software updates and security Patches.

If the phone is bought directly from Samsung it will be unlocked to all networks and recieve updates direct from Samsung UK. It will have the CsC BTU.

This option is best as your more likely to get updates.

If the phone is bought from Amazon or a reseller such as Carphone Warehouse for example it will be unlocked to all networks. The region lock  process will still need doing but the phones CsC will probably be XEU which in my experience still gets updates from Samsung but can be much slower getting them.

If the phone is bought from a UK Network then it will need unlocking to all networks by that network and usually a person has to meet some form of criteria before they'll unlock it. i.e this can be 30 days usage. The region lock process still has to be done.

Also the phones CsC will be one that the network imposes on it as it will have the networks flavour of firmware on it.

Updates can be held back until they've tested it themselves before allowing Samsung to send out the update.

This is the least best option as updates can be delayed and your reliant on the network allowing Samsung to send it out. Some phones may not get the update or very very slowly.

Stay Safe.  🌈

0 Likes
st3v1e
Apprentice
Options

Fantastic info BandOfbrothers.

You ask about the exynos issues . . . .  I'm an iPhone user of many (many) years, since the first one. Tried moving to Android back in the days of the S5, but wasn't impressed (at that time - personal preference). But now that Apple had decided they know best, install updates even when I've disabled them, and produce "new" phones which consistently look the same as my old iPhone 6, it's time to move to a new manufacturer.

I've been checking around the internet for the past 5-6 weeks doing research, and the Note 10+ 5G seems to fit my needs perfectly. However, I frequently come across users on forums and YouTube advising problems and performance & battery issues with the Exynos Processor versions and recommend buying the Qualcomm/Snapdragon version.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Snapdragon+or+Exynos

I'd be pleased to hear your comments if you disagree with these findings.

Stay safe.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hey @st3v1e 

I was in a similar situation to you.

I've used the iPhone from the 4 to the 6+ and became unimpressed with how Apple were showing very little innovation both with their Hardware and Software  ! They way they sandbox off their iOS and just expect users to accept that. 

The little things like I want to place an app on my homescreen where I want it and not where apple wants it to be in their matrix.

Customisation or the lack if it :winking-face:  drove me to jailbreaking.

Then Apple use those jailbreaking tweaks and add it to their updated iOS calling it new features !  The cheek. 

:grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye: Rant over :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

Battery life on any phone is a very subjective topic as we all set up our phones differently etc.

I have viewed YouTube videos and read pieces on what people think about Qualcomm Snapdragon vs Exynos and appreciate their viewpoint.

I've also come across posts from people in the USA that don't think much about the SnapDragon and want Exynos as they feel it handles better in the phone !

It's the same when it comes to discussions on how much Ram is in a phone.

For me unused Ram is in fact wasted Ram.

I prefer not to turn most things off to conserve battery life.

In fact what I do turn off is the battery % sign in the phones status bar so I can just concentrate on enjoying the experience on using this powerhouse of a phone.

My Samsung Note 10+ 5G usually gives me 3-4 days usage however I typically charge it overnight.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈

0 Likes
st3v1e
Apprentice
Options

Great to have a different perspective form a real user and not someone who (potyentially) has a vested interest in making their point on YouTube.

All your comments are valid reasons for me toreconsider. It'd certainly be a much better option to purchase in New Zealand than try a workaround in the USA or UK.

Again very much appreciate your feedback and comments, and hoping you and your family, friends and colleagues stay safe in this current global situation, and looking forward to sharing some Note 10+ 5G experiences when shipping options resume.

Take care.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @st3v1e 

I wish you all the best with whichever avenue you choose.  :winking-face:

Thank you for your well wishes and the same back to you and yours.  :smiling-face:  👍

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

0 Likes
Richard57
First Poster
Options

Most of the time I see the complaints about exynos is from people trying to use emulators/games and are not happy theyre forced to use the lesser exynos chip just because of the region they live. snapdragon has a better benchmark than exynos and is clearly far more superior. But I also see people that don't have issues with exynos and think its great but the truth is give them people the same phone with the snapdragon processor and see how many of them change there mind, In my opinion.. I'm currently using the s10 plus exynos chip and I'm looking to change phone for one with a snapdragon processor, better graphics better battery life and just overall performance. I certainly wouldn't advise spending that much money on a lesser product. Just have a look around your region for phones that come standard with snapdragon then you'll have no issues, doubt you will get a Samsung though. I'm in the UK and the only half decent phone's I could find with snapdragon chip was one plus 7t and one plus 7t pro.  

0 Likes