Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One UI 3.1 update broke hotspot feature

(Topic created on: 02-05-2021 10:33 AM)
Alan_Bates
Apprentice
Options

I accidentally triggered the One UI 3.1 update to install to my Note 10 Plus on April 1. The mobile hotspot feature was immediately disabled by the update and has not enabled sense. Even though it was immediately clear that my mobile hotspot was working perfectly fine prior to the update and then was broken with no explanation following the update, I worked with my carrier for *hours* of my own time troubleshooting on their end to identify any alternative cause and any possible remediation. 

Is there anything I can do here?

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
How exactly does it not work, do you mean it fails to turn on?
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Alan_Bates: Sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Mobile Hotspot. If you head to Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot, can you toggle the option on? If so, tap on 'Advanced' and try changing the Security and Band options to see if this helps. If you're still having issues, please restart the phone in Safe Mode and try setting up your hotspot from here, as this will disable all third party apps and help to determine if the problem is stemming from an external source. To proceed, press and hold the Power button until the 'Power off' prompt appears on the screen then release > Touch and hold Power off until the 'Safe mode' prompt appears then release > To confirm, tap Safe mode > With Safe Mode enabled, ensure Airplane Mode is turned off.

0 Likes
Alan_Bates
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your reply. This has all already been tried, but I'll walk through it in order to catch things up to speed. 

Mobile Hotspot option does not enable with the shade button.

Mobile Hotspot does not enable with the Setting.

Changing the Band does not help.

Hotspot does not enable in Safe Mode

Airplane Mode has been disabled for every test.

When my device restarted after the forced update, my password had been changed to a random strong password so I know that the update did some meddling with something. I'm assuming it silently failed to apply an update.

Thanks for any help. Any further ideas? I'm stumped.

0 Likes
Alan_Bates
Apprentice
Options

Hi Joeeye.

Yes, it fails to enable. When I attempt to enable the mobile hotspot (through any of the different ways it may be enabled) I get a message saying that the hotspot service is unavailable. I had my hotspot on when the update began applying, and when it completed, my hotspot settings had been changed around. My network name had been reset and my password had been changed to a random strong password.  

0 Likes
Maerlyn13
First Poster
Options
  • My S10+ did the same thing after one ui3.1 update. Did you ever figure it out? I had to install a separate app to toggle tethering to get past the message saying that the hotspot service is unavailable.
0 Likes