Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

note 10 plus software update not working with galaxy theme

(Topic created on: 11-04-2020 07:01 PM)
Jason24
Explorer
Options

I like the galaxy theme keyboards and after the software update I got on April 1st, the theme background applies but not the keyboard. Does this happen to any one else? 

35 REPLIES 35
AsadM
Options
Hi @Jason24. Hope you're doing well. Can you please give more information on what happens when you apply the theme? Are you applying a third party theme, or one of the preinstalled ones in the settings?
0 Likes
Jason24
Explorer
Options

Hello I am doing great. Thank you for asking. So the first picture is a theme downloaded from the galaxy theme app. The theme is supposed to change the background and the icons as well as the keyboard. The second picture shows what the keyboard looks like when I apply it. Dark mode is not on. I tired to reapply and reset. My phone. This happened after the last update with my phone on April 1st 2020.

Screenshot_20200411-134746_Galaxy Themes.jpgScreenshot_20200411-134754_Galaxy Themes.jpgScreenshot_20200411-134903_Messages.jpg

0 Likes
MicaT
Apprentice
Options

I am also interested in this question.

I have been using a theme that I purchased via Samsung Themes which also included a keyboard theme. This worked fine on my current Samsung Note10 5G and also on my previous phone, a Samsung Note8.

Ever since the April update, my keyboard has reverted to the standard Samsung keyboard and not applied my theme.

I tried reapplying my themes.

My phone is up to date.

I can't find an option for any keyboard except Samsung on Settings > General management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard.

This is the theme I haveThis is the theme I have

This was my keyboard with the theme applied, which will no longer work since April 2020 update.This was my keyboard with the theme applied, which will no longer work since April 2020 update.

Jason24
Explorer
Options

Hey! Thanks for replying!

Yes,  thats the same problem with me. After the software update in April, the themes I downloaded, and others after, do not show the keyboard that comes with it. Instead it shows the boring gray/ white keyboard that doesn't match the rest of the theme. 

I looked into the changes in the last software update and it changed the keyboard options and included a new spen handwriting option. Maybe  that has something to do with the theme not being 100% compatible with the notes?

Please let me know what you think. Thank you! 

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @Jason24  and @MicaT ,

is this only affecting some themes or all of them?

0 Likes
Jason24
Explorer
Options

It happens with themes that have color and boarders around the keys.  For exampleScreenshot_20200429-154805_Galaxy Themes.jpg

This is what it is supposed to look like.Screenshot_20200429-155138_Messages.jpg

This is what I get when I apply it.  

Thanks for responding to my post! 

MicaT
Apprentice
Options

It seems some themes apply the keyboard theme correctly, some partially and some not at all.

I have tried using themes from 2016 through 2019, ones I have tried in the past which had worked- purchased and free - as well as ones I have only tried since the this issue with the keyboards. 

I suspect what you said about themes with borders or multi colours might be correct just based on observation from my own experience below...

I tried this free one in the past, and it worked then and still.I tried this free one in the past, and it worked then and still.

I hadn't tried this free one before but the keyboard works fine.I hadn't tried this free one before but the keyboard works fine.

I purchased this in the past and the keyboard theme doesn't take at all - still the same default grey Samsung keyboard.I purchased this in the past and the keyboard theme doesn't take at all - still the same default grey Samsung keyboard.

This is a paid one I tried after the issue arose. I only get a partial colour theme - my keyboard only gets the blue not the pink keyboard.This is a paid one I tried after the issue arose. I only get a partial colour theme - my keyboard only gets the blue not the pink keyboard.

This was one I have shown previously. I purchased this a while ago. As can be seen, it has two colours. Since April, I only get the default grey Samsung keyboard - no two colours or even a single colour.This was one I have shown previously. I purchased this a while ago. As can be seen, it has two colours. Since April, I only get the default grey Samsung keyboard - no two colours or even a single colour.

Jason24
Explorer
Options

Yes it's the same thing with me. I just feel that it sucks that we won't be able use nice looking keyboards for now especially the ones that we pay for. I hope they can fix this soon. I really liked the look of different color and styles of the keyboard. Thanks for the reply! 

0 Likes
Brian_Matthews
Student
Options

FINALLY! Someone else who is having the same issue I am having with the Samsung Themes custom-to-theme keyboards. Before I got my update last night, I had been noticing with the Themes store, the previews of the keyboards were beginning to change. When a designer updated a theme, a different template was used for the screenshot & the keyboards were only flat colors. There could be various colors, but beyond the "Material" look of the keyboard...nothing. And I absolutely 💯 abhor Material design! Great displays now & the design medium of choice looks like a 1st grader threw together a bunch of construction paper cut-ups & called it Design?!? Give me break...but back to keyboard issues. Before update, the preview may look like *****, but when trying it out, you would get the intended (I think) amazing keyboard designs. Put update...no matter the theme, no matter the designer, no matter if paid or free, no matter if I use One UI or Nova Launcher, no matter uninstall-reinstall, every freaking trick I can think of from previous update glitches I've had from brand spanking new Note 3 on...I get a grand total of 4 equally pathetic keyboard designs. (As you can tell, I'm a bit passionate about this...as with many a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 user, I use my keyboard a LOT! But even as typing this, this keyboard is giving me a headache!) And like so many other Samsung Themes users, the $ invested into themes add up over the years. But especially now, when $ is tight for so many, it adds a bit of insult to injury knowing the cost accrued just to have the themes not work well @ all (there are many issues I'm having with Themes, but this question was about keyboards so I'll keep it on topic. 🙂). And to use a third-party keyboard app is so incredibly risky these days...it always has,  but the keystroke theft is mind-blowing now. Plus, I was really comfortable with the way the native keyboard worked. I don't WANT to learn a new kb! Since one of the only remaining portions of a themes not customizable with Samsung themes is the keyboard, I would purchase a theme solely on its keyboard. I've suggested many times to Samsung to add keyboards to the wallpaper & icon customization options, but until recently I was just grateful the store was @ least previewing all the keyboards. 

I don't think this would all bother me as much if I hadn't (again, like all the other Note 10 users) paid so much for the phone to begin with then the cost of good themes on top of it all. I kinda get why a Note costs so much, & for so many reasons, am willing to pay that cost to get what I need. But I expect it to WORK! Properly.  And I get there's gonna be issues when updates roll out, I truly do. But that is what Beta is for! And this is a pretty glaring glitch. I mean, how much time a day do we type on a phone? I do A TON! I don't own a computer anymore so all my computing is done on this Note 10+. (Besides, on a computer, the kb look isn't important...you're not supposed to look @ it.) 

But thank you for raising the issue!  1.)maybe a patch for it or some other fix can happen quicker, & 2.) It's not my imagination or something just I'm doing wrong.  I apologize for length.  With physical distancing in place, typing is often so integral with communicating...and when the keyboard looks so much of an eyesore, I really don't want to use it...so less communication...& more frustration...so hoping + searching  desperately for a remedy soon!

Regards,

Brian