Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 10 Plus 5G

(Topic created on: 13-11-2019 10:04 AM)
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I've been having a slight issue with the signal of LTE/4G/4G+ and bands the phone is connecting to.

The phone seems to be prioritising certain bands on Vodafone between 1 and 20 and in some cases it's prioritising a band which has 1 bar signal over another band which has 4 bars signal which I don't quite understand.

This is in turn resulting in speed spikes on speedtests of around 40-50Mb/s and then dropping to around 10Mb/s.

However during silly hours this issue kind of rectifies itself by stabilising at around 20-30Mb/s at around Midnight or 7am. I originally thought it was congestion but it's happening literally everywhere even on 3G and 4G+.

Is there any known issues with the Note 10 5G Plus in terms of signal and speed? Has anyone been able to achieve decent speeds because when I went into a Vodafone store the guy next to me speedtested using a Samsung Galaxy S10 5G and he got 80Mb/s whereas I got a meesly 7Mb/s.

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options

I am on Vodafone 4G, UK and have only been able to receive maximum speeds of 32MBS. Which is disappointing as when I took out the contract, I was told there was unlimited speeds and no throttling etc. 

It doesn't bother me too much as I am on Wifi mainly. 

I headed out to Kings Cross today and managed to pick up a bar of 5G signal, maybe it was because it was one bar, but certainly wasn't overawed! 

0 Likes
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

Is it stable though or does it drop?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Note10User4 

This particular subject has come up before here and on the Vodafone UK Communitu Forum in regards to phone signal strength.

One member who is a communications Technician once said "Phones do not latch onto the strongest signal.They follow the network assigned procedure, hence why it's not uncommon to be connected to a weaker signal than is strictly available "

My Note 10+ 5G was purchased directly from a Samsung Experience Store so I can switch out sim cards and I noticed if I use one network sim card instead of another signal can be different.

The signal strength bar in the status bar is for a rough guide only so personally I use an app that shows the true signal strength of where I am.

These apps are available in the Playstore.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

Hi @Note10User4 

This particular subject has come up before here and on the Vodafone UK Communitu Forum in regards to phone signal strength.

One member who is a communications Technician once said "Phones do not latch onto the strongest signal.They follow the network assigned procedure, hence why it's not uncommon to be connected to a weaker signal than is strictly available "

My Note 10+ 5G was purchased directly from a Samsung Experience Store so I can switch out sim cards and I noticed if I use one network sim card instead of another signal can be different.

The signal strength bar in the status bar is for a rough guide only so personally I use an app that shows the true signal strength of where I am.

These apps are available in the Playstore.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

I've also read this too.

But from a speed perspective if I can show you this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yroTbmckdU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHg26ZD7DV4&feature=youtu.be

almost all the time it goes to around 40-50Mb/s then drops and stabilises at aroundd 10Mb/s and it seems to be locked at that specific speed.

From my understanding that would mean Vodafone may or may not prioritise a specific band?

It seems that vodafone are throttling my speeds on the Unlimited Max Plan.

I use LTE Discovery to see which band i'm connected to

I'm currently working with Vodafone's Directors Office trying to get this resolved.

0 Likes
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

32MB/s is much better than 10Mb/s though!

Yeah I have 400Mb/s internet at home but that's besides the point as you said if your paying for a service with advertised "Unlimited Speeds" and no throttling etc as you mentioned it appears to be potentially mis-sold a product.

5G was the same in Manchester i got 130meg then it dropped and stablised at around 50Mb/s. Whilst it was higher than 4G it still spiked and dropped which indicates to me something in their system is throttling it.

I do understand Vodafone has a substantial amount of customers as per other networks of the likes of Three. So I would assume congestion would be partially a issue, but if they are throttling speeds because of this they should be informing customers.

0 Likes
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options

OK, I have done a speedtest this morning and on 3 bars am getting 8mbs 

0 Likes
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

You mentioned you are also on Vodafone...

What plan are you on? As far as I understand Unlimited Max should be the fastest.

It just seems a little bit of a coincidence that everyone I have spoken to who's on the Unlimited Max plan isn't getting any higher than 10Mb/s.

I think this might be a network issue (Throttling) rather than the actual device tbh.

0 Likes
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options
I am on the 20GB but have also been told there is no throttling on this or capping.

I will be giving them a call on my lunch too.
0 Likes
Note10User4
First Poster
Options

So your just on a standard plan.

Ideally i'd run a speedtest in a (4G+) location I know for a fact Vodafone's 4G+ network is capable of some pretty high speeds almost 300Mb/s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-4DLuVw1A

It even says on their website that they support up to 300Mb/s over 4G+

That will give you a idea of if throttling is taking place.

It's very rare a device will achieve under 10Mb/s on 4G+ signal since vodafone have tuns of spectrum.

0 Likes