Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 10+ 5G - Dual-SIM (or hybrid SIM) feature is an absolute mess

(Topic created on: 22-08-2019 06:52 PM)
Chacho
Apprentice
Options

Today I received my much anticipated Note 10+ 5G which I ordered about 15 days ago and was counting the days for it to arrive. Only thing is that when I opened it, it turned out not to correspond to what I had wanted nor expected.

I've been an avid loyal Samsung customer since they released their Galaxy S2, some years ago, and a Galaxy Note user since the Note 2. The only thing is that for many years now, I have been buying the dual-SIM variant of their phones (even back in the days when I could only have it through import) as this has proved to be the most efficient way to keep both my professional and personnal numbers in the same phone.

As I was about to place my order for the Note10+ 5G, I looked closely at the stated product information, where it clearly stated:
"Hybrid SIM keeps you connected and expands your storage
With the Galaxy Note10 and Note10+, you can insert a microSD card for more storage, or swap it out to a second SIM card for dual SIM capability — making you twice as connected with one device" - without an Asterix or footnote indicating any exemption from that rule. (https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-note10/performance/)

Yet despite that, I got on the Online Chat "expert" line to be absolutely sure before I place my order, as to me this is a deal-breaker. To my surprise the Agent indicated initially that only a few variants of the phone were dual-SIM, but not including the 5G, but did not sound sure. Upon my persistence, he went back and forth on this information, and eventually conceeded that the 5G was indeed hybrid (after checking with his supervisor). Being still doubful, I took it upon myself to go to the Samsung shop and check with their experts in the shop. Again, the assistant initially said no, with some doubts, then went and checked with their in-house so called expert and then came bak with a different wild story where he confirmed that the phone was indeed dual-SIM but with one SIM as nano SIM and the other being an e-SIM (don't ask)

Foolishly, I took him at his word and went ahead and placed my order.

In the time I was waiting to have the phone delivered, I have heard all sorts of story and kept contacting Samsung online chat support (2 with their direct support department and 1 from Note10 support line), and everytime the same thing, where initially they would give a story, then change it by the time we get to the end of the discussion, always concluding that the phone was a dual-SIM.

Today, as soon as I received the phone, I opened it, and opened the SIM slot, only to find out that it was a single SIM slot + 1 Micro-SD slot. You can imagine how disappointed and agry I was. I got immediately on the phone to Samsung. After being thrown around different departments, I ended up with an agent who clearly had no clue nor knowedge about the phone, and she kept going back and forth asking her supervisor (believe it or not, she actually asked me to take a picture of the phone and send it to them to show them what is wrong with it - which has absolutely nothing to do with a dual-SIM feature). After such long waits of getting nowhere, I put the phone down out of sheer frustration and then got on the online support chat where I requested a call back.

Eventually, when I was contacted by an agent who sounded partly knowledgeable, she confirmed that many other customers who have been expecting a dual-SIM phone have also been disappointed and made a complaint, and that they (Samsung) were unsure about what happened, as they were also expecting these devices to be dual-SIM. She further added that they contacted their UK representative (it seems that the call centre is based outside the UK) to check what has happened and call back within 24 hours. She said so, without wanting to even confirm whether the Note 10+ 5G has a dual-SIM variant, but only said: "they are investigating the issue".

Not sure what is going to happen in the next 24 hours, but suffice to say that this whole process has been an absolute nightmare so far. Samsung, you truly messed up

30 REPLIES 30
DL31
Troubleshooter
Options

@minhastariq  

why should I buy 4G version of the phone when the whole world is moving towards 5G.

4G+ is way enough on a smartphone to be honest, 100mb is already a fast connexion...

I dont really care wether it's 4G+ or 5G, by the time 5G is available in most areas, i will have changed 3 times my phone.

0 Likes
ChrisBester
First Poster
Options

So it would seem in UAE they are also selling a dual sim Note 10+ 5G,  think i will rather go to store tomorrow to see if i get a unicornScreenshot_20191111-224116_Chrome.jpg

0 Likes
SHeGaRDe
First Poster
Options

Actually its misleading ad.   They are using the same specs from 4g version  in the 5g version (just changed the topic to 5g) . 

The 5g version in  UAE and rest of the Middle East  is  single sim  with sd card . 

0 Likes
wuudsie
First Poster
Options

We have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ (LTE) 256GB which has dual sim capability, although you have either dual sim or SD card installed but not both. I find this a bit odd as one of the unique selling points is it being expandable up to 1TB, but not if you want to use dual sim. I also have a Galaxy A70 128GB which has dual sim and SD card slot. So I guess you need to choose your Galaxy depending on what your needs are, I didn't even look at 5G as it's not available in my area for at least 18mth - 2yrs.

0 Likes
Ahmed777
First Poster
Options

I just got the same nasty surprise today. Luckily I bought it from Amazon. After 5 years with Samsung I will switch back to apple. At least they are honest. Will use the digital SIM

0 Likes
sowmeera
First Poster
Options

Dual Sim is not only one part of the story.  There is another to it. 

This is with regard to the software update.   We had to wait, beg and borrow software update to Android 10.   After a wait of few months, we got the update.  It has not ended here.   All other Samsung phones have been updated with UI 2.1, whereas, we are still waiting for the update.  How long we will have to wait ? God only knows!

Samsung, it is high time that you give importance to your top end models for the udpate. 

Otherwise, you are likely to lose customers like me buying your phone.   

0 Likes
IrvToy
First Poster
Options

Is 4G  or 3G or 5G the respective model numbers? or the note 10 has a SM-N####? Samsung marketing knowing mislead customer here and they should be more than willing to correct their misleading "sale drive info-ads"

0 Likes
JenaLyne
First Poster
Options

I noticed that eSIM was mentioned multiple times, and it appears that nobody understands how you would go about setting up the eSIM I have an Apple phone with eSIM and you have to go into the settings and cellular network and follow the directions in there to set up the virtual Sim card or electronic Sim card so that may be the issue is that it’s there and nobody has any idea how to operate it or access it

0 Likes
sowmeera
First Poster
Options

Yes, I am also one of the unfortunate customers who bought this phone thinking it is dual SIM.

I bought it in Dubai, and the Service Centre had no clue regarding its specs. 

Now, I am trying to sell it off and go for Google Pixel 6.  

All the best 

0 Likes
Members_pOopTk8
First Poster
Options

Hello. I'm very sorry for your frustration. I can understand the level of disappointment you felt. I looked on the link webpage and it states that the 5g version only takes 1 sim. I'm not sure if this was altered sometime after your purchase. I've owned my N10+ for only just under a year coming from Note 8 (only because of storage), which I gave to my teenage son & he loves it. 

I ordered my N10+ from 3rd party stockist called Fonehouse brand new; was lucky to order it online with tariff because no one else was (in uk).

When it arrived, I was surprised & delighted to see it was a dual sim phone. I was not expecting to receive this version. 

I've learnt only today that the 5g version is single sim only after which, I came across this thread. 

For years, Samsung has been leading pioneers in the mobile phone industry. The S5 for example is water resistant with removable back cover & battery, has wireless charging capabilities, an ir blaster & WITH an aux headphone jack. Then there's the Note Phones, general android features in their phones which are head and shoulders above the rest etc. 

It baffles me why they couldn't incorporate dual sim in N10+ 5G phones. Based on their talent, I'm sure they could have found a way without the phone using too much battery (what someone suggested elsewhere was the reason to this ommition).

A lot of business people need dual sim, they travel the world so need good signal for business purposes ie 5G.

They missed a big targeted audience. 

I know the Note 20+ has dual sim (hybrid SD slot) & 5G as standard but by the time this phone came out, they've probably lost a lot of customers. Latest phone S21 Ultra also has dual sim, 5G and eSim compatibility but loses SD support. 

A lot of people in the US like N10+ because it has MST & is the last phone to have this feature. 

Lol, you win some, you lose some. 

I hope you've managed to find a solution. 

Screenshot_20211107-124119_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Likes