Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Network band selection no longer available

(Topic created on: 10-07-2022 09:13 AM)
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
UPDATE (04/07/2022): This is the response Samsung gave about band selection being disabled. It won't be coming back it seems.

Ever since I had the Note 10+ 5g, I had been able to use the band selection app to open the hidden menu which would allow me to select which bands to connect to and which bands to avoid. This was particularly important as Band 3 (1800Mhz) would give me the worst speed (~0.5 - 4 Mbps) and is at the same time the band/frequency the phone connects to constantly since it has the strongest signal strength. Band 3 also prevents my phone from connecting to 5g in my weakly coveraged area which enabled me to fix my several year long issue with terrible speeds giving me speeds up to ~200+Mbps. 

I just received the May 2022 update for my phone and I decided to update due to the camera stability improvements. After completing the update I notice that my phone is no longer connected to 5g. I check the band the phone is connected to and notice it to be Band 3. Thinking I may have forgot to turn off the Band 3, I try opening the band selection app to which it gives and error that it can't find the hidden menu.

I've come to know that this issue is widespread on the latest updates for most if not all the galaxy phones.

I don't know why the menu has suddenly disappeared or been disabled, but it is a very important feature for me and many others. I see no reason as to why this feature would be made inaccessible on Samsung devices since it isn't destructive but rather a really useful feature for many users.
Could someone with a better understanding, or better yet Samsung themselves please explain what's going on?

PETITION:
97 REPLIES 97
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
Try going to the settings and changing to a network type other than the one you are connected to (e.g. 3g if connected to 4g) and then change back (e.g. 3g back to 4g).
0 Likes
Flyordie209
First Poster
Options

Well, if this band selection functionality isn't restored soon, I'll be jumping off the Samsung bandwagon. Been a loyal Samsung customer since the Note 5, currently running the Note10+ and S22 Ultra. The fact Samsung is telling their customers that they don't own their devices and that Samsung does.. is *****. This effectively ends software support for a $1300 device for a lot of people not even 6 months after release. Thanks Samsung.

Many people depend on that functionality because the carriers can't build networks worth anything and that option was the only thing allowing Samsung devices to actually work. I use it every day, or else I wouldn't have any cell service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I too am gonna sell off my phone and buy a different brand if this feature is not brought back. It is essential for many people and shame to see removed. 

yanshugupta
Explorer
Options

not working in s20 fe

yanshugupta
Explorer
Options

why the hell samsung remove this feature, in many areas mobile getting connected to some bands which are very poor in speed , like my phone keep getting connected to band 40 but i want to restrict that band because in my area it doesn't give speed at all.

pls give this feature back, otherwise you are loosing lot of customer, if you are not giving this feature back then atleast change your algorithm of band selection, its useless if other bands are good and its just selecting poor bands

anshu
Student
Options

**** samsung for doing this. I used to get 2 hours more SOT on my S21 exynos by using this app. I used to latch on the band 5 which has highest coverage in my area. Now i can't change after the update. U dumb samsung engineers make devices worse after each update. 

yanshugupta
Explorer
Options

Try this, for me it worked, 

update your phone,

go to setting -> General Management -> Rest -> Reset Network Setting  

Hope this works for you.

Edited: **** samsung this is not working 

0 Likes
Sabir1
Pioneer
Options
Is this for when it is stuck on 1 band?
0 Likes
Cayne
Journeyman
Options

Well, that's it. I'm done with samsung. I've bought samsung reliably for many years now, but this feature made cell service bearable where I live and without it, I can't find many reasons to keep samsung. Way to go guys.

yanshugupta
Explorer
Options

try reset network and then put it on airplane mode and turn airplane mode off 

it will select best band automatically after that, hope it will not stuck on band 1 again

**** samsung this is not working too

0 Likes