(Topic created on: 23-01-2022 05:30 PM)
Journeyman
Options

Issue: Receiving basic network signals. Calls/text + 4G
Length of Time: Noticeable since April 2020
Phone: #
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 4G (SM-N975/DS)

Hello,

I'm having sporadic signal reception, to the point of the phone being almost unusable. I've used Sky Mobile and now using Virgin Mobile, both which piggyback off the O2 network.

Signal status of the TW12 area states reception is available and service good. Last year there were issues with network masts that required months before they were repaired and believed that to be the cause of the issue, as my Note 10+ 4G was receiving decent signal.

I've read some model's of this phone that they were released with faulty antenna's, or their ability to receive signal reduced in order to preserve the battery from overheating. 

Things I've tried to rectify/observe:

1. Hard resetting phone to factory settings.
  2. Walking various different route both in Urban and rural areas.
  3. Observing friend's phones signal reception (Samsung/Oppo) with various networks (O2/Three) which more often than note have signal/data, or can at least make a call/text.
  4. Contacted Samsung support chat, but suggested to reset phone and see how it goes. 
  5. Reset my Sim toolkit settings.
  6. Manually selected network rather than automatically.
  7. Turned off roaming mode.
  8. Turned off wifi call settings.

At times I may have 3 bars of signal reception, but a message will display on the top screen "Unable to find a network"/"Emergency calls only", or 4G symbol is displayed but can not get internet.

Some links to troubleshooting advice read:

How to Fix Galaxy Note10 Signal Issues (thedroidguy.com)

NFC antenna Galaxy Note 10+ repair - Free guide - SOSav

Does anyone have any experience of this, or other solutions they've tried?

Thanks in advance.

16 REPLIES 16
Dagdervis
Student
Options
I have been having internet connectivity problems as well for the past couple of months. Calls and sms seem fine. Thinking of hard resetting it. Did it help yours?
0 Likes
Journeyman
Options
Hi Dagdervis,

I had reset my phone but it's hard to tell if signal has improved. I doubt that it has. Sometimes sms messages take a while to be delivered with good signal. I have pretty much given up on using 4G with my handset currently.

Some areas near where I live have notoriously bad signal, especially higher landlying areas, but again I may be with someone walking in another area and their reception is ok or at least bearable, and my phones network will display as "emergency services only".

Have ordered an antenna part from Germany, but may take some time to have delivered due to the haulage sector being hit hard.
0 Likes
Kingkev
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue. Any resolutions?

0 Likes
stir93
Student
Options

I have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.
I don't know if it's maybe since my phone fell on the ground and maybe I damage my antenna. I have no signal, I lose people on calls, Internet is almost impossible mission (download is fine, upload is disaster). SIM card is not a problem I've tried in other phones.

Journeyman
Options
Hi Kingkev, no resolutions unfortunately Phone has no reception when I leave the front door. On rare occasions I may get a faint signal, but my only option is to get another phone.
0 Likes
Journeyman
Options
The only option I can rely on is wifi, makig my phone essentially a tablet. Ive heard that potentially Damsung made an update in 2020 that throttled the antenna because of the battery over heating.

I cant say I have severly dropped my phone for the antenna to be damaged, as also there are few places it flickers on, but I still wouldn't want to rely on the quality of signal.

The links I put on my first post were my attempts to fix the phone settings which you could try? I have pretty much given up.

My phone was brought as new refurbished Jan 2020, and worked perfectly fine until about June, and because of Covid, I assumed my local phone masts were down (which some where when I did a check with my provider) and were taking that bit longer to be repaired. It was only about 6 months later that I started to get suspicious.
Ian Newcombe
First Poster
Options

I just received a refurbished Note 10 from a BestBuy Marketplace Seller and I am having the exact same issues as described above. I can get a signal if I go into my backyard but anywhere in my house is either "no signal" or "emergency calls only". If I throw my Sim back into my old Note 5 I get a consistent 4 bars anywhere in my house.

I have tried everything mentioned above excluding a factory reset. If anyone finds a solution that would be great, or maybe Samsung can chime in. Otherwise I will be sending this back.

0 Likes
Al3cs75
Student
Options

Hi all, I'm facing the exact same problem. Any solution? Do I have to replace antenna? Any other component?

0 Likes
Journeyman
Options
I replaced the antenna which had to ship from Germany. It seemd to help for a few days then back to normal. This was summer 2021 (phone purchased Jan 2020 reconditioned)

I suggest to see if you can have the phone returned to the place of purchase if bought within past 30 days, depending in your laws consumer rights etc. Alternatively if you have insurance see if they can cover the cost. The phone is only sold on second hand merchants stores now, so imagine any warranty will not be covered, and will stop Samsung being obliged to fix anything frustratingly.

I am not sure if this has happened to some of the S20 series of phones also.

Reluctantly I'll likely buy phone straight from brand in future, or buy extra insurance.
0 Likes