Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost dual SIM choice in calls and messages after update to UI3. Anyone knows how to bring them back?

(Topic created on: 19-01-2021 04:40 PM)
Gorog
Journeyman
Options

Before updating I've always had a choice of choosing which card I want to use for calling or sending messages, those options were always visible on screen. Now after updating for calls i get pop up windows asking for SIM while in messages I have no options at all. Does anyone using two SIM cards have the same problem?

343 REPLIES 343
DieLyn
Journeyman
Options

Hi @Stix_13 

This looks excellent! Thank you for sharing!

I can confirm, it does come up with two buttons on Android 11, OneUI 3.1:

Screenshot_20220210-065756_True Phone.jpg

I have tested it out somewhat... it seems great. Does exactly what I would want it to do.

I still need to test out full functionality (calling actual people) and to test for reliability... but this seems like this first viable solution.

Thank you!

Stix_13
Explorer
Options

@Gorog- FYI

@DieLyn- THANKS for sharing screenshot evidence and helping confirm with this 'True Phone Dialer' app we have two separate buttons SIM1 + SIM2 also working on Android 11, UI 3.1.

This gives me half the confidence to finally upgrade to Android 11 soon and then eventually Android 12......but before that, now just need to find a replacement app for Samsung (SMS) Messages that also has two separate buttons SIM1 + SIM2 and shows the respective SIM icon beside each message sent and received in an SMS conversation.

As far as testing this 'True Phone Dialer' app, I have been using it for 1+ month and functionility, reliability and performance for both SIM1 + SIM2 is 5 stars!!....no issues (yet) as this app has never crashed or stalled on launch or during any calls (yet)....look forward to your feedback upon your further testing and personal experience....

Btw, obviously free version has ads but good news is there are options to purchase ad-free edition, which are not too pricey and could be worth it!

Finally, I must express my only concern for usage of this app is security, data privacy, GDPR, etc.....just thinking if this app collects or steals any private data such as sharing phone numbers dialed or even my two phone numbers with other third party companies that results in more telemarking calls.....but in all fairness telemarketing has always been a common problem and annoying, well atleast here in Canada!...not sure if this is a common problem in Europe....however, in all fairness I guess security, data privacy, GDPR, etc concerns is a common risk with any third party app.....so i guess pick your poison this True Phone dialer app vs default Samsung Phone Calls app

Side note: I do have to upgrade to Android 11 before April 1 2022 as my corporate IT is forcing all manged devices to be compliant else our Work profile will get deleted.....so running out of time soon to find a replacement SMS messages app and get off of Android 10, UI 2.5.

Thanks again!

Respectfully,

Your friend from Canada

@Stix_13  aka @DualSIMNote10Plus :smiling-face:

Proffa
Journeyman
Options

I started using Textra for SMS last spring because of this issue and recommend you  testing it as well. No ads, very simple to use. It has only one button for SIM selection but it changes selected by pressing it and tells clearly will Sim1 or Sim 2 be used to send the message. Phone calls on default app work similarly so I'm OK with this for now. Still would be nice if separate app would not be needed...

Textra.PNG

0 Likes
Stix_13
Explorer
Options

@Proffa- I tried Textra ...which was 'ok' for the same reason you described pressing it to change SIM.....HOWEVER I did not like the fact that in the same SMS conversation when there are sent and received messages using both SIM1 and SIM2....you cannot see which message is to and from the respective SIM1 or SIM2.....as example, please reference attached screenshot.....and for that reason I stopped using Textra.....

Screenshot_20220210-130456_Messages.jpg

Still searching another SMS app that has this capability

BigDiesel
Journeyman
Options

Finally got a message back from Samsung in the Samsung App on my phone acknowledging this issue and advising it will be rectified with the next update - will be interesting to see :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Stix_13
Explorer
Options

@BigDiesel- thanks for sharing this key update. Can you please help ask your Support contact the following two quick questions: 

1) Assuming the 'next update' fix is bringing back two separate buttons SIM1 + SIM2, well question is Samsung planning on fixing both Samsung Phone (Call Dialer) app and Samsung (SMS) Messages app ?

2) Is the 'next update' fix expected to be on Android 11, UI 3.x or Android 12, UI 4.x ?

BigDiesel
Journeyman
Options

Android 12 but sounds like it will just be fixing a contact to one SIM or the other - which is not bad?!

0 Likes
Stix_13
Explorer
Options

@BigDiesel- based on what you are stating "just be fixing a contact to one SIM or the other" ....looks like apparently you got fooled by Samsung or you did not understand them or they did not understand you........well, that is NOT a fix ...and btw that is ALREADY the current capability on Android 11/12 as you can assign SIM1 or SIM2 as default for each respective contact.....and everyone here is complaining about this.

Like I said this is NOT a fix and actually VERY BAD USER EXPERIENCE!!! Also imagine the annoying process to update 100+ contacts....many people have many more contacts 500-1000+

The only FIX is when Samsung brings back TWO SEPARATE buttons SiM1 + SM2 for Samsung Phone (Calls Dialer) app and Samsung (SMS) Messages app

So unfortunately your previous update is just fake news 😞

BigDiesel
Journeyman
Options

Hmmm good point - although one of the issues is the SIM swapping randomly and not staying on its allocated contact?

I want the 2 Buttons back as well :smiling-face: 

Stix_13
Explorer
Options

@BigDiesel- unfortunately Samsung has zero plans to bring back 2 buttons.....and now that it has been 2 years, likely this issue will never get fixed....

Re 'SIM swapping randomly and not staying on its allocated contact' .....well you can avoid this issue and also have 2 separate SIM + SIM2 buttons if you use the 'True Phone Dialer' app (recommended above).....

Back to square 1....need to find a replacement app for Samsung (SMS) Messages app with also 2 separate SIM1 + SIM2 buttons