Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest update ruined the handwriting editor - does anyone from Samsung follow these posts?

(Topic created on: 07-07-2020 10:03 PM)
Rudy49er
Apprentice
Options

In a post in another thread on Update 2.1 Issues I posted the following:

Since no one resonded to the handwriting features issue I will ask again.

Since the last update my handwriting feature has changed. The old feature had a writing pad that allowed a relatively large area in which to write, many formatting options along the top, a back delete button, a return button,  a comma button, and a space bar buttion. I could also scroll up and down on the converted text and make edits.

Now the writing area is small and surrounded with just a few formatting options and many punctuation buttons (most of which I don't use). Also, I can't scroll through converted text and make edits.

How do I get the old format back?

In response to a suggestion I posted the following:

I have tried it both ways. The first screenshot is in expanded mode. Here I can only write in the black box.Screenshot_20200502-102042_OneNote.jpg

In the contracted mode I can write anywhere on the screen.

Screenshot_20200502-102111_OneNote.jpg 

In both instances it will convert my writing to text. However, in the old version of this box I had a lot more formatting options than I do now. For example, I could choose numbered bullets and indent. The only punctuation options I had were a comma and a period. I didn't need the others that are now offered as I had no problem with drawing what I wanted and having it convert properly.

The other thing I really miss is the ability to either split two words apart or pull two parts of a word together. You did this by tapping the problem words or word parts on the text screen. That portion of text would appear on the writing screen and I could split text by drawing a vertical line where I wanted a split or pull two parts together by drawing the lower half of circle between the parts. Now I can only find and highlight a word or word parts to cut, copy, or replace a previously written word or parts of words. Very inefficient.

I would like to have the old writing screen back.

At least two other posters have experienced the same problem. We want to get back to the old handwriting editor feature. Does anyone know how to do that? Does anyone from Samsung monitor this forum? If so, could someone reply with suggestions or a fix?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @Rudy49er ,

some apps and functionalities are modified on new updates, usually to offer a better experience. However, not all the upgrades are right for all the users. I would suggest sharing your feedback on our Samsung Members app> Support> Send Feedback so our colleagues can have this in mind for future updates. 

0 Likes
Rudy49er
Apprentice
Options

So what you are telling me is that we are stuck with this change unless someone, somewhere in Samsung, decides to put it back as a feature at some future date. I would love to know how it was decided to make such a radical change to a major feature in an update. I might see it happening to a new phone or tablet with a new operating system, but not an update and certainly not without the option to switch back to the previous verson of this feature.

Sad, just really sad. It makes me regret spending the money so that I could have this feature; I would not have purchased this phone without it.

I will follow your suggestion but am really frustrated.

Rudy49er

Harticus
First Poster
Options

I totally agree with you, Rudy. This handwriting update was horrible.

djt08510350
Apprentice
Options

@Harticus wrote:

I have the same problems. Horrible. After several

calls to Samsung & Verizon techs, several factory resets and two replacement devices, I was able to disable auto-update 7 in developer

options. The old handwriting-text functionality continued to work. After a month or so, however, the update finally forced its way in and I'm back to the disfunctional writing mode you've

described.  I posted to the Samsung users forum and never

got a response. 

It's hard to believe this isn't a "known issue" because it is a core function of the Note device and pervades all writing apps (Samsung Notes, email, text messaging, Word/Docs, etc.).  Please let me know if you make any progress with Samsung or a workaround. Thanks

Dave T.

0 Likes
Je655
Helping Hand
Options

@djt08510350 wrote:

@Harticus wrote:

calls to Samsung & Verizon techs, several factory resets and two replacement devices, I was able to disable auto-update 7 in developer

options. The old handwriting-text functionality continued to work. After a month or so, however, the update finally forced its way in and I'm back to the disfunctional writing mode you've

described.  I posted to the Samsung users forum and never

got a response. 

It's hard to believe this isn't a "known issue" because it is a core function of the Note device and pervades all writing apps (Samsung Notes, email, text messaging, Word/Docs, etc.).  Please let me know if you make any progress with Samsung or a workaround. Thanks

Dave T.

The "auto update system" option in developer options does nothing now. There is an option to actually block system updates if you can get back to the version you liked.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s9-s9/is-there-a-way-to-stop-the-newest-software-update/t...

0 Likes
djt08510350
Apprentice
Options

@Harticus wrote:

described.  I posted to the Samsung users forum and never got a response 'see copy

of post below).

Dave T.

_________

Samsung US

Update 7 for galaxy note 10+ impairs handwriting-to-text function

Update 7 has ruined the handwriting function in two Note 10+ devices and is trying to force itself onto a third device by May 19. The updated handwriting pad does allow word correction in the box. It also causes text words to stack up vertically down the screen rather than spacing across the screen in a normal sentence. As words are entered into the handwriting pad, they appear in a stack of text words above, and then must be "backspaced" into a sentence. Word spelling correction can't be done in the handwriting pad either, and the stylus has reduced sensitivity when trying to cut and paste words. There problems occur in all writing apps (email, samsung notes, calendar notes etc. ). Has anyone found a fix for this?

0 Likes
djt08510350
Apprentice
Options
I'm told by Samsung that the new system update can't be reversed even by reflashing the device. Would have to
get a fourth replacement.
Have owned on Note phones since the Note 1 (including the Note 7 w/ battery issue). This editing issue in a significant technical glitch and productivity impairment.
Paul_Maconochie
First Poster
Options

My phone got "upgraded" in the last couple of days. I have just lodged feedback with Samsung regarding the backward step of the new handwriting area. I own a Note 9 and was going to buy a Note 20 Ultra in a couple of weeks. I won't bother now as the reason for having a Note phone has been substantially degraded.

0 Likes
Donnyboy
Student
Options

terrible update. handwriting recognition has gone down So much, Terrible. I use the pen to prevent tendonitis. now I will have to type. urgh