Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery drain when connected to 5G

(Topic created on: 09-05-2021 05:37 AM)
Pazman
Journeyman
Options

own the samsung note 10 plus 5g , it's a great phone and it has the best battery life of any phone I have ever owned .
I regularly have 50-60 % battery at the end of a day .
Untill this week I had only had the chance to try out 5g once.
I was working in Cardiff last month for only 4 hours or so but in this time I was able to run 5 speed tests in 5 different locations around cardiff .
Download speeds were good but not great, between 120 to 300 at best ,the down side to this was battery usage.
During speed tests I would lose 3%, but more concerning was the battery drain when the phone was in standby.
I lost 70% of battery life in the 4 hours of being in cardiff which did include 5 speed tests .
This was my first experience of 5g on my phone and I was not impressed .
This week i started a new job in a very small town which has full 5g coverage .
On Monday I started my new job and had forgotten all about 5g and the 5g experience in cardiff the month before , at around 10am having been in this 5g area for 2 hours I pulled out my phone to check the time and noticed the phone was very warm to the touch.
Then I remembered 5g , i check my battery percentage and was shocked to see I was on 70% already.
I never used the phone all day and my 5pm my phone was on 18% , this was just from standby.
The next day I disable 5g before getting to work and by 5pm this day I had 74% left .
I spoke to ee technical support and samsung technical support about this and they were both clueless saying the phone is working normally.
I did a factory reset and my FW is updated and it's still same .
As is Samsungs application of 5g in my note 10 plus is unusable .
If your thinking about buying into 5g I would recommend you think again .
The technology is clearly not ready yet .
If anyone else is having a better 5g experience then I can you let me know .

20 REPLIES 20
JoeKSU93
Apprentice
Options

I got my Samsung note 10 + 5G in December. Within one week I returned it because the battery was draining in less than 5 hours. The new one continues to have the same issue. I was getting  a 5G signal all day long. I continue to have this issue after doing a factory reset and then installing apps 1 by 1.  I also went to a Samsung certified tech center  and they determined that the battery has excessive drain but they don't know how to fix it. Now T-Mobile is providing  a 3rd phone but I'm not expecting any better results unless it does have the firmware upgrade. We will see. I will post again if the problem is solved

0 Likes
Pazman
Journeyman
Options
My note 10 plus is now fixed and has no battery drain on 5g .
This was fixed via software , Fw was updated at the repair centre .
The latest android software released by samsung has this fix built in it so you should go up software update in phone settings and install the update.
Stylesnyf
Student
Options

I received an update in January but just a security update. Still awful battery life on my note 10+5G

JoeKSU93
Apprentice
Options

3rd phone, same problem. You would think Samsung and Tmobile would be talking to each other and not send out a replacement phone without the firmware and software update. Now do I wait or drive an hour to a service center?You would think Samsung would be more customer service oriented and send a phone that's fixed in the mail. Does anyone know the number of the firmware fix and software update?

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Pazman wrote:
My note 10 plus is now fixed and has no battery drain on 5g .
This was fixed via software , Fw was updated at the repair centre .
The latest android software released by samsung has this fix built in it so you should go up software update in phone settings and install the update.

@Pazman 

Can you take a screenshot of your software details and upload it here on the forum as this could go onto help others ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Pazman
Journeyman
Options

Here you goHere you go

Stylesnyf
Student
Options

Here is my update but it didn't fix the battery drain issue Screenshot_20200131-063939_Software update.jpg

0 Likes
JoeKSU93
Apprentice
Options

I wish I knew why I am having this problem. 3rd phone. Today only 2.5 hrs today of screen on time.Amazing Note10+ 5G lemonAmazing Note10+ 5G lemon

0 Likes
Scorpion2019
Journeyman
Options
Well its May 2021 ,with latest FW software downloaded on my Samsung note 10+ 5g and I have the same issue on 5g.. disgusting..
0 Likes
jazzytechfreak
First Poster
Options
Note 10 plus 5g battery estimate only showing 10hrs usage with fully charged battery. Is this something that's adjusted according to my usage patterns. If so then that means less standby time. Please help
0 Likes