Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive brightness on note 10 is unpredictable. Solutions?

(Topic created on: 17-10-2019 05:38 AM)
Lookasso
Journeyman
Options

Hello dears, I'm looking for a bright phone and I've compared S10, Note 10, Huawei P30 Pro and more.

The p30 is the best in this.

But although it's famous for its camera, I actually prefer the camera on the Note 10, and I like the pen.

But today while comparing the p30 with the note 10 under direct sunlight (i particularly need visibility with Google maps) the note 10 was so dull that I almost decided to send it back.

It was at maximum brightness and there was no difference if the adaptive brightness was on or off, although according to all reviewers (most noticeably gsmarena and notebookcheck) it should get a much higher brightness with adaptive on.

Then, suddenly, it became brighter.

Same place, same light. No reason to become brighter all at once, but it did.

The I've turned the display off and on again, and it was dull again, and never became that bright.

So. I now know, it can be brighter.

It seems to be a software limitation.

Some problem with the adaptive brightness.

I'd love to keep it.

But i won't if i can't solve this.

Any ideas?

I've already set the device care thing in maximum performance. No difference.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
RpBP2
Pathfinder
Options

I think you have a bad concept about adaptive display and automatic brightness that it use sensor for adequate the brightness to real situation of light.

Adaptive display will give you colors more intense to show in your screen more vivid colours. You can test about it with examples pictures.

But you can not set more brightness than maximum. I can tell you than you can not see screen correctly in any phone when strong light sun fall upon directly on screen. In your car with google map you have not that situation of direct light.

I have a S8+ and it is used by me long time driving and no problems with screen light intensity. I have set in Auto, and only in some situations I increase bright in the device.

Bye and cheers:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Lookasso
Journeyman
Options

I'm very sure that I'm not confusing adaptive display with adaptive brightness.

But I'm curious to know what gives you this impression :smiling-face:

What I see is that you seem not aware that indeed the max brightness that you can get by manually moving the slider to the max position (with adaptive brightness off) is much lower than what the phone can reach with adaptive brightness on.
All major reviews explain that.
The two websites I know which do the most in-depth tests on displays are gsmarena and notebookcheck.
Just check their reviews of any phone and you'll see that they give two values of brightness, one for manual mode and one for auto mode.

Today I've experienced this for the first time in a clear way.
I was under direct sunlight (btw I don't use car, I use bike, so I do am under direct sunlight), and the P30 Pro was perfectly readable, yes, even under direct sunlight, despite what you say. The Note 10 was much duller. Like it had always been, and like the S10 was too.
Suddenly, without any change in sunlight, the Note 10 became almost as bright as the P30 Pro.
I do these tests since 2 months and I'm very very very sure that neither the S10 nor the Note 10 had EVER reached this brightness.

So, now I know it's possible.
And I'm trying to understand if I can reproduce this, or if I'm left to the fate.

My impression of these months of tests is that the S10 and Note 10 don't have a responsive adaptive brightness, or have a tighter limit than other phones.
The brighter a display gets, the faster it will burn out with time, so it's understandable that they want to limit the max brightness in favour of durability, but I would prefer if they give me the choice. For example, in power mode under device care, there is no change in brightness if I go from optimised to high performance.
I wish they would give us the option to have a higher brightness when needed (like the outdoor mode of the LG G7 Thinq).

Any idea about how to force the adaptive brightness to give its best?
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Lookasso 

Your not the first to experience a difference with screen brightness between phones my friend.

Not just with Samsung Phones but other makes and models too.

Personally on my N10+ tG I have adaptive turned Off,  and set my slider around half way and only adjust that when outside and need more or less brightness for the weather conditions I'm experiencing.

I'm in the UK so it's not often we get bright sunny days !  :winking-face:

Apart from playing around with the various preference settings you've already had a go with I do not think there is much else you can do.

There might be an App that helps with this but I'm not sure _ you would have to check out the Playstore.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Uath
Voyager
Options

Good morning all!! I am RpBP2, I was banned for something.

Thanks a lot both for your experience, each day we can understand better to other persons with some special requirements, it is good for all.

We will spend a little bit more time with your and try to find a real solution about your request, let me try to find something useful for your use on bicycle as our colleague said, I will ask to a pair of good friends and they will explain me how they use for the activity, to know the system directly here, in Spain, with a strong light sun direct on screen and on bicycle. But I only can tell you, that with direct light incision and strong, all our phones (non Samsung too) are not be able to show screen as without direct light.

Have you a nice weekend with the bicycle and testing method to increase brightness :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
Uath
Voyager
Options

First friend sent me a picture for us:

envio_soporte_bici.JPG

I was checking APPs but it will be better to test for you and in your device because I have not a Note 10 for check real options inside. My device has not adaptive brightness, only auto mode and full brightness selecting maximum value. There are a few of its as BandBO said :handshake:

I'm waiting to the other person, who has a big mountain bike group :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

I will let you know:four-leaf-clover:

0 Likes
Lookasso
Journeyman
Options

hey is there any Samsung people here to give a little info? I feel like Samsung it's just covering up the screen problems of the new devices...

0 Likes
StellarTraveler
Helping Hand
Options

@Lookasso wrote:

Hello dears, I'm looking for a bright phone and I've compared S10, Note 10, Huawei P30 Pro and more.

The p30 is the best in this.

But although it's famous for its camera, I actually prefer the camera on the Note 10, and I like the pen.

But today while comparing the p30 with the note 10 under direct sunlight (i particularly need visibility with Google maps) the note 10 was so dull that I almost decided to send it back.

It was at maximum brightness and there was no difference if the adaptive brightness was on or off, although according to all reviewers (most noticeably gsmarena and notebookcheck) it should get a much higher brightness with adaptive on.

Then, suddenly, it became brighter.

Same place, same light. No reason to become brighter all at once, but it did.

The I've turned the display off and on again, and it was dull again, and never became that bright.

So. I now know, it can be brighter.

It seems to be a software limitation.

Some problem with the adaptive brightness.

I'd love to keep it.

But i won't if i can't solve this.

Any ideas?

I've already set the device care thing in maximum performance. No difference.

Thanks!

clear cache and data in the device health service app in system apps and will reset that.

0 Likes
John79x
Journeyman
Options

Don't use that garbage feature.

Check out this nifty tool I love.

Search "brightness control" in the Google Play Store.

It's the fifth one down there from developer Alexey Rogulin.

Put it on your home screen, and you and you can set up to six custom brightness levels.

And using it doesn't even open an app, so you won't have to clear any background running app after using it.

It just opens a little window right there on your home screen with your six brightness levels that you can click on.

Long press any of them to edit the brightness percentage.

I love it.Screenshot_20191109-173510_Google Play Store.jpg

0 Likes