Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Note 10+ 5G and using the current 5G networks ... could this be a worthy upgrade ?

(Topic created on: 30-12-2019 09:21 PM)
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

I currently have an S10+ that is in perfect condition and only bought in April... and wasn't thinking at all about an upgrade at the moment... however...

Looking at the great offerings for Sale on Samsung store at the moment... a Note10+ 5G model for £899 with a good trade in value for the S10+ and a free galaxy Active watch seems to be a cracking deal and I am very tempted with the deals ! :smiling-face: 

My main question is to those that already have a 5G compatible handset.   Just how useful is the network currently ?  I am assuming it is a barely functional 5G network at present and only partially working... a bit more a marketing ploy and with some small areas where it might actually become useful ?    However I am also thinking about future proofing my phone for the next couple of years and to upgrade to a 5G phone now would be a good idea.

Any experiences in 5G or comments for the Note 10+5G would be appreciated.

Thanks

Smiley @:) 

- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
The 5G networks are usually not well matured yet at this point, its more future proof but it is also one of the earliest devices with the technology.

My personal choice would to be wait until the next generation 5G devices but if you prefer to features of the Note10+ you can't go wrong :winking-face:
MadalinK
Hotshot
Options

I now regret buying the 5G version of the Note 10+

5G isn't even planned for the area I live in, and anyway I usually change my phones every year. So buy the time the Note 11 comes out, I wouldn't even have used the 5G "option" on my current phone, in conclusion I don't know what I was thinking. But lesson learned I guess. 

Oh and not to mention the resale value .. If I want to trade it to Samsung for a new device, they usually won't pay more than they will for a 4G Note 10+. And if I will want to sell it privately, I will have a very hard time finding a buyer for this 512GB model..

Also I didn't get anything when I bought it. 9 days later Samsung was offering free Galaxy Buds, so the deal you are looking at is very good!

Or you could think about waiting until February to see the new Samsung 11 or whatever they will call it, the leaks so far look very promising 😊

Current phone : Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G 512GB
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

@MadalinK @SjorsK  Thanks for your replies.   

I think this reinforces my thoughts on the 5G service at present. Mostly a marketing ploy by the network operators at the present and not very useful.   

I like the idea of a note 10+ and when I take in all the trade in discounts and freebie offer it works out at around £300 to change between the S10+ and Note10+5G which is about as low as it would get to change to a note10 5G.   However if the service is not up to it then there seems little point.  

Perhaps it would be worth me waiting for the next set of Note phones next year.  

On another subject, how useful do you find the S Pen functions ?  I have always had S-series phones but i like the idea of using the Note Pen for jotting down things and some writing functions.    Perhaps the novelty of the note phone is making my decision making a bit less sensible :smiling-face: 

Thanks for your answers 

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley

Solution
MadalinK
Hotshot
Options

@smiley When the Note 10 came out I was using the Note 9 512GB with 8GB of RAM.

At that time the trade in offer was for £450  so I stupidly said Nooo, my phone is is pristine condition, it even had the wrappings around the edges. I will sell it privately and get more for it. What a mistake! I spent over two months waiting for someone who is willing to appreciate it. And even then, I got way less that Samsung was offering. So another lesson learned! But don't mind me, I was just venting.

The S-Pen is one of the best features of the Note. I use it daily, it is very useful and versatile. Starting with the Screen Off Memo, to the fact that I can operate the camera remotely. It is why I have been buying the Note series starting with the Note 3. I had to get the S7 when the Note 7 proved to be a disaster, but I was so happy to get the Note 8. The other reason for sticking to the Note is the camera. It has always been superior to the S series. 

Current phone : Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G 512GB
SjorsK
Maestro
Options
I just got my note yesterday (replacing my S9+)

Needless to say, I'm still in the honeymoon period but I like it so far.

Its not the 5G version because it's not available in my country and I need two simcards 😁
JAMESCUNNY17
Pioneer
Options

Hi @smiley  I'm currently in a 5G enabled city <Leeds) but coverage is pretty much limited to City Centre and I would guess it's probably same everywhere else except London.When I have used 5G it has been excellent though getting 10 times what I was on 4G using EE network but it does burn through your battery.

smiley
Troubleshooter
Options

@JAMESCUNNY17 wrote:

Hi @smiley  I'm currently in a 5G enabled city <Leeds) but coverage is pretty much limited to City Centre and I would guess it's probably same everywhere else except London.When I have used 5G it has been excellent though getting 10 times what I was on 4G using EE network but it does burn through your battery.

Thanks James.  I think this pretty much is what I had anticipated from the current 5G service...

Although I am extremely tempted to buy a 5G emabled handset i expect it will be at least a year or more before we could say 5G is truly worthwhile... perhaps i might wait for the next Note11 or later phones than to jump in now.   

I live approx 30 miles from London... nearer Reading and Guildford which may have some service but I am sure it will have limitations.  

Thanks for your time to respond 

Kind regards

Smiley :smiling-face:

- Smiley

0 Likes
Hazbi1
Apprentice
Options

If you live for ex. Switzerland than it`s worthy! Note 10+ is same as Note 10+ 5G except for 5G chip! If your area doesn`t have 5G towers than save that $200 and go for Note 10+

0 Likes
Drewgaren
First Poster
Options

I'm in the US where 5G is available at a snail's pace, but something clicked in my brain when I saw my area had 5G coverage. I ported my number and bought the Note 10+ 5G, sold my Pixel 4 XL and am selling my iPhone 11 Pro which I only use for my Apple Watch. 

In fairness 5G is spotty for me. In some areas it is great and the speeds here are still only around 5x faster then LTE which I'll take. It's not speeds that replaces broadband internet at home but it is much faster the LTE. The network is still being built and it in its early stages. I do enjoy the Note 10+ 5G however there are many quirks. I don't know if it was worth the price, but I'll wait it out for at least a year and see. 

0 Likes