Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 10/Note 10+ camera not really "professional" at all!

(Topic created on: 02-05-2020 02:22 PM)
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

Hello,

Started this the same the same the S10 topic was started, about the same problems with the camera system.

Sadly, Samsung ignores the massive issue with their image processing algorithms that got broken ever since the Note 9.

This phone is amazing, but the camera is a freakin mess indoors, outdoors in shade and midlight with no sun, and any other midlight  and artificial light situation: smudges in colors, noise, excessive compression resulting in lack of details, dull colors, oil paint like effect especially on skin tones.

Post your review here as well if you think the same, that your Note 10 fails to impress with the camera:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10e-S10-S10-S10-5G/Un-Official-quot-Suggestion-Thread-qu... 

They got it right with the display, as usual, it is amazing, the stereo sound is great, battery is fine for me on the Note 10+, performance seems fine, but the camera...

It took apple years to understand that they messed up their camera system starting with IOS10 and iphone 7. With the 11 series they nailed and fix it. Shall we expect Samsung to ignore this problem the same way??

14 REPLIES 14
Nofear
Pathfinder
Options

Thank you - my thoughts exactly. I think this camera is a mess! 

I love the build of the phone, but compare the app store, the wearables, I think Huawei blows this out of the water. 

I left my Mate 10 Pro behind for this and thought the daylight photos from Huawei on a 2 year old phone were more impressive 

Galle20
Journeyman
Options

Agree completely.  

Seems there are two problems,  both of which Samsung could repair with software update. 

1) in auto mode the iso is often set unnecessarily high.  This results in blown highlights and lots of noise m

Solution: return to S8 or earlier android algorithm 

2) jpg compression is too high

You can somewhat influence the picture quality by setting iso always at max 200 or 320, outdoors less, in pro mode or in auto mode with the exposure slider.

Anyway, at the moment Samsung Galaxy S10 picture quality is one big disappointment.  

9x
Journeyman
Options

Maybe you have a defective phone? When I traded my s8 plus in from my s9 plus three years ago. I had an issue with the camera it looked fuzzy no matter what I did and out of focus, then I exchanged it got another s9 plus, it was fine the next year i traded it in S10 plus and I've never seen a better camera in any other phone ever. I'd say out of the there most popular top model phones for best camera - iPhone 11 pro -Google Pixel 4 & Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus. I looked into every model I've tried them all one way or another. I'd say Google makes a pretty decent camera for one little lens and hard to beat, but the one that I would today would be the Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. If you look up how good the S20 ultra is compared to the S10 Plus it will say on numerous Android tech websites go with the S10 Plus because the price has come way down and the S20 ultra has a lot of issues that need to be worked out. I'm waiting for the note 11+ to come out in August to trade in my S10 Plus. But I'd look into getting your phone serviced because my whole professional photography portfolio 156 pictures I've taken in the last year or so, I've taken with my S10 plus. I actually prefer it over my Canon cam I use professionally. The other thing that it could be is the the settings just may need to be tweaked. Which is a simple fix. Anybody who's having camera issues no matter how old this original post is first check for new updates in settings and if you're having problems with your camera. Go to the bottom in camera settings and reset all settings. Just as a reminder use a soft microsoft cloth and clean your screen and lenses often to maintain taking crystal clear beautiful shots. And if anyone needs help setting it up feel free to message me. 

M24_karat
0 Likes
DL31
Troubleshooter
Options

@9x  You probably did not try front cam. In many situation back cam is fine, even though perfectible especially in low light for photos of people/faces, night shot is fine especially with 2.1... BUT the front cam software is pure garbage. No update solved this issue and it has been 9 months already.

I can tell it is garbage by comparing the pictures taken with the photo app and 3rd party software that gives outstanding results.

The hardware is there, but samsung front cam rendering is very bad.

Still n10+ is a very good photophone overall, but far from flawless and i cry everytime i attempt a portrait with front cam.

0 Likes
alanbio
Apprentice
Options

I completely agree.. i used to love Samsung cameras, my last phone was a Note 8, which switched for a Huawei Mate 20 pro, then an iPhone XS, Pixel 3a and back to Note 10 and got disappointed the first minute I took pictures with it, especially selfies.

They tried to match the aggressive HDR Apple puts in their phones and the result is only nice in bright light, because in any other situation the camera is a mess. As soon as it detects my face, it applies a pale filter and right after the picture is taken, if you quickly open the image, you see an extra filter being applied, making my face even more pale and plasticky. Toggling off the HDR button is useless because this freaking effect is always applied. Samsung has an obsession for controlling noise and so they apply a really aggressive noise reduction and to compensate, they apply an artificial sharpening, which makes the contour of objects look drawed with a pen. All grey and cloudy skies get blue and grass is always neon green. Pro mode cannot make it up for that because it takes probably one single frame, being noisy and lacking details, so it's never ready to share. Even pro mode being an alternative, it doesn't allow to use any camera besides the main wide angle. I'm using the last OneUI 2.1 update and besides the night mode being improved, the HDR is much more aggressive and artificial, it always looks like someone came with a color pencil and painted the blown out highlight to recover the color, just like the iPhone does, but bad implemented. Impressive how a Samsung flagship cannot get any closer to the high quality images of a cheap Pixel 3a. 

To make it worse, using the phone in gestures mode and this thing lags, freezes, stutters and drop frames like HELL, and the ram management is horrible.

So disappointed because I was really expecting for this last update to correct these flaws but now the experience with the phone is much worse. I'm just looking for what's available.

0 Likes
Venom7000
Voyager
Options

Its been a long time since we talked about this.
I feel like there is some improvement to the pic quality. Its not 100% there. But they have definitivly fiddled with camera image processing a bit.

Or is it just me?

0 Likes
DL31
Troubleshooter
Options

@Venom7000  Back cam is fine. Software could do better but it is already good.

The main issue is the front camera for which software is just pure garbage.

0 Likes
Shelley123
Voyager
Options

I have the aura glow and always find a rainbow in my pictures on bright days, sometimes its yellow dots, frustrating even with a cover on.20200509_194944.jpg

0 Likes
Shelley123
Voyager
Options

20200509_195028.jpg

0 Likes