Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You must update the a51 5g to one UI 3 this month, March 2021, Samsung! Petition

(Topic created on: 02-03-2021 05:36 PM)
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

This is just TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.  Samsung has delayed the a51 5g one UI 3.0 update to MAY 2021. YES, MAY 2021. by may, most OEMs would be far along in developing Android 12 for their devices. Yet Samsung can't update its highest end A series in 2020 until then.

And this isn't a question over whether Samsung simply will take that long to develop this firmware, because low and behold, they already have. There are 2 main variants of the a51 5g. There is the Verizon US (sd765g soc) one and the exynos 980 one we get in the UK. Neither is better then the other. However, the sd765g has already completed the rollout. 

You may be thinking, then, but 'maybe the exynos 980 firmware hasn't been developed yet?'. Wrong, again. It has been developed, and has had multiple beta releases in South Korea since DECEMBER 2020. And as I type this, it is on one UI 3.1 there. And it has also been officially released in the US in mid-February - the SM-A516U there uses the Exynos 980 chipset, same as we get in the UK. And that firmware has proven to be very stable. Normally with Samsung phone OS rollouts we see devices with the same processors globally get the update within a very short period of time of each other, such as all the exynos s20s getting android 11 at a similar time or even the a51 4g. However Samsung seems to 'not care' about their highest end A series for 2020, their A series 'role model' in the UK. Which is a real shame, and we need to show them this is unacceptable. Furthermore to this, the a51 5g in most regions is stuck on the October 2020 security patch, which is FIVE MONTHS behind. Samsung promises to update this phone quarterly, or every 3 months. 

If you would like to have a list to the firmwares I have references and check them for yourselves, it's below:

A516B UK firmware one UI 2.5 A516BXXU3BTJ1
This one above is what the a51 5g in the UK has currently.

A516U US (AT&T) firmware 2.5 A516USQU3BTJ4
A516U US (AT&T) firmware 3.0 A516USQU4CUA9
A516U US unlocked firmware 3.0 A516USQU4CUA7

A516B South Korea beta 3.1 A516NKSU3ZUB6
A516B South Korea beta 3.0 A516NKSU3ZTL9

29 REPLIES 29
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
Jesus, read the above as a heated discussion not a fight but I lost the fight against my fingers And my screen combined with cooking
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
the S21 series launched with it to be fair- and the fold is a VERY touchy subject if you have followed the events surrounding it.

I can see why it got it first at the same time as the New flagship is being sold launching with it.

in regards to flagships not having received 3.0 let alone 3.1 all s10 and 20 alongside The note series have been receiving these updates Mere weeks after release of the S21 depending on region, retailer and many more

edit

yes it's a bit baffling but without the knowledge as to why you can have people running around screaming over it and starting petitions lol.

there could be a million reasons, maybe the A51 5G, 71 and 90 5G have something the others don't that makes it harder. like the 5G Chipset?

they crammed the best available 5G Chipset into a series of phones without the power to back it?

I don't know. but I'm happy to see as I said, despite delays, that almost double the amount of devices compared to initial announcements are getting A11/OUI3
0 Likes
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
Im gonna Google A90 5g. I have never owned one but at the end of two day moderate to heavy usage on A51 5g I am left with 50% charge remaining. I call that incredible battery life. Not to mention cameras, speakers etc: This is a device that I would honestly give 10/10 to and the aldt time I had a device like that was when I used A5 2017 (the phone beforw last one I had)
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
A51 5G costs £429 , OnePlus Nord is £379 and 4a is £349. A51 5g and OnePlus Nord have comparable hardware. The a51 4g is the one you are talking about with weaker hardware, and that got the update already. Also the A90 costed £669 at launch (same as s10e), and the fact that hasnt got the update as well is miserable.
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
Im not going to lie tho I do see your point and I really hope you can get your S21 Ultra fixed soon. My computer is messed up even tho I have only had it 6-7 months do Im honestly so grateful that my phone is working amazingly.
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
Ok, look, I don't want to convey the wrong message with this. It's just that Samsung's updates usually don't work this way. They will have differences in regional availability at different times for the same device, but this is usually within a month at the most. Here we are talking about 3 months, which is not usual at all for Samsung. Also, if you wanted you could just flash the firmware from another country and it would work just fine as long as it's the same model number (which it isn't compared the US model, so I can't do that). The main differences they do is apply country specific software (which has remained the same since 2.5) and apply support for different signal bands (which again, doesn't usually take more then 1 month). Furthermore, Samsung has been providing regular security patches for other devices, even the a01, which is pretty great, but again, no a51 5g.
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
look man I get the frustration, look at my corner ! I paid 2.600 pounds up front for 2 devices and 97 a month for my wifes one.

all 3 the 512gb model from 3 separate retailers, and then add on 8 more family and friends with the same device ranging 256gb to 512 with same problems and even worse after 3.1

but again. we don't know WHY there's delays. and in the middle of a pandemic. brexit and a heap of pressure on them? idk man. I can cut them some slack for this one.

the security patches however, I consider those quite important and I'm just as P'ed off about it nonetheless this is happening with Google devices, Motorola, Nokia, razer, etc etc.

yeah no flashing Snapdragon firmware on the Exy lol.

do consider though, software only;

all the devices you listed are cheap, easy models with hardly anything in em.. updating their software is easy.

now look at the A51,71 and 90 series. they are far more complicated including the 5G chipset and requirements alone. it takes time.

fk if the cheap 100 to 200 pound phones gets updated now, those are the ones funding the midrange and high end.
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
thanks! ^^ if you're looking for a good mid range device don't look too far. the Pixel series midrange device put even Apple and Samsung to shame. and cheaper.

that's the main problem I have, my phones are my main drivers, I have no need for a PC, but when the software causes the hardware on a phone this costly. I expect a fix promptly lol
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
Thing is my pc was around £500 which I got for homework (Im at college, well online until schools and colleges open next week lol) and I get bucketloads of homework. My phone has less RAM than my laptop and I can multitask even perform split screen stuff on here without a problem and loop music for hours. My speaker on the laptop is so crackly even for short periods and I cant even perform sinple tasks on the laptop without a lag. Reset was no help so cant wait for shops to open to get it fixed. So grateful that my phone has been working no problems.
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
yeah I also realise I was a bit over frustrated and apologise for that. also weirdly enough the a51 5g in the US is exynos based apart from the Verizon model, the reason you can't flash the exynos US a51 5g is due to completely different model numbers (like how you can't flash any old exynos S20 firmware on the UK one or vice versa). I also do get your reasoning behind the software updates coming earlier for the other models. I did this more of a 'rant' because it seemed to be Samsung forgot about this model only in the UK. Security updates tho I can't really cut them much slack considering they are quite important and they already set a relatively wide quarterly update window for it.