Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You must update the a51 5g to one UI 3 this month, March 2021, Samsung! Petition

(Topic created on: 02-03-2021 05:45 PM)
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

This is just TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.  Samsung has delayed the a51 5g one UI 3.0 update to MAY 2021. YES, MAY 2021. by may, most OEMs would be far along in developing Android 12 for their devices. Yet Samsung can't update its highest end A series in 2020 until then.

And this isn't a question over whether Samsung simply will take that long to develop this firmware, because low and behold, they already have. There are 2 main variants of the a51 5g. There is the Verizon US (sd765g soc) one and the exynos 980 one we get in the UK. Neither is better then the other. However, the sd765g has already completed the rollout. 

You may be thinking, then, but 'maybe the exynos 980 firmware hasn't been developed yet?'. Wrong, again. It has been developed, and has had multiple beta releases in South Korea since DECEMBER 2020. And as I type this, it is on one UI 3.1 there. And it has also been officially released in the US in mid-February - the SM-A516U there uses the Exynos 980 chipset, same as we get in the UK. And that firmware has proven to be very stable. Normally with Samsung phone OS rollouts we see devices with the same processors globally get the update within a very short period of time of each other, such as all the exynos s20s getting android 11 at a similar time or even the a51 4g. However Samsung seems to 'not care' about their highest end A series for 2020, their A series 'role model' in the UK. Which is a real shame, and we need to show them this is unacceptable. Furthermore to this, the a51 5g in most regions is stuck on the October 2020 security patch, which is FIVE MONTHS behind. Samsung promises to update this phone quarterly, or every 3 months. 

If you would like to have a list to the firmwares I have references and check them for yourselves, it's below:

A516B UK firmware one UI 2.5 A516BXXU3BTJ1
This one above is what the a51 5g in the UK has currently.

A516U US (AT&T) firmware 2.5 A516USQU3BTJ4
A516U US (AT&T) firmware 3.0 A516USQU4CUA9
A516U US unlocked firmware 3.0 A516USQU4CUA7

A516B South Korea beta 3.1 A516NKSU3ZUB6
A516B South Korea beta 3.0 A516NKSU3ZTL9

29 REPLIES 29
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes its kind of annoying because Samsung has moved the update to when the 2019 A series phones get updated. Galaxy Fold came out before A51 5g (correct me if Im wrong) and yet it is getting updated this month but A51 5g has to wait 2 months. A little annoyed Im not going to lie. For all we know tho maybe One Ui3 had problems on Samsung phone that it was vital to get fixed for devices that are currently on One Ui3 and for those that are still waiting for update. And also A51 5g might get a security patch before One Ui3
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
you can't be serious lad?

you realise they have zero obligation to provide you with updates let alone a timeframe during a pandemic??

my work phone, A90 5G got delayed twice then taken off the list and now also in May. both devices run by the same schedule.

fact; older phones and mid range can't be expected to get priority over other devices that cost people 3x as much and were released This year.

be happy your a51 is working unlike my 3x 1300 quid s21u's and have a little patience, you ARE getting it and if the current pandemic is acceptable to cause All other delays, maybe we can let this one slide and enjoy the fact far more devices than anticipated are getting updated.

just a fair point, your 300 pound phone has an update date and my brand new 1300 quid one doesn't have a fix date.

perspective man, enjoy your budget phone and be happy you get provided services many other companies don't offer at all.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
the fold is/was a £1800 flag ship. the A range whilst getting better Are still only low budget seen in perspective
0 Likes
Maria_vm
Troubleshooter
Options
That makes more sense then
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
Well I still don't think it's right for Samsung to update a £200 M31 before the a51 5g. and I am not complaining because they havent started developing the OS for the phones because they have, and it is already available in other regions such as the US. I am simply stating facts and that I paid more money for a device which isn't recieving that level of support as other, cheaper phones. Also about your 'priority for flagships' I get that. The fact your s21u isn't working should not affect my phone in any way considering it is an isolated case as the s21u seems to be working fine for everyone else. But you also have to realise there is a tier system in their budget and midrange phones as well, and in that the a51 5g and a71 are at the top which are also some of the only budget devices that haven't received it. Also about 'other companies not offering it', pretty much any reputable midrange phone company has updated their device to android 11, be it the pixel 4a, oneplus Nord, oppo series or even a Motorola g pro and that company is notoriously bad at updating their phones. Tell me, then, is it acceptable for my phone to be 5 months behind on security patches to be repeatedly delayed in getting the update when it is available in other regions on top of this? is it ok for Samsung to skip security patches as they promised a security patch every 3 months? the answer is no. i have my reasons for sticking with Samsung and they have similarly dissapointed me in the past.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
basically most of the A series is "low budget" with a few really good "Mid range" devices amongst them :smiling-face:

it's samsungs way to give people who don't have access to 1, 2 or 3000 pound phones a way into their eco system whilst you get the semi feeling of a good phone for your 150 to 500 quid ish :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
The fold got the update in Jan-Feb. No Samsung flagship has not received 3.0. Samsung may have not updated their lost correctly but phones like the Fold, M31 and a51 4g have already received the update in the UK
0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
.... which does indeed convery through to the amazing speed of updates for most of those models like the a51, m31, m21 and others, apart from the a71 and a51 5g which are actually a regression compared to how fast Samsung started to update midrange phones in the past (march to April). I understand your argument for updating higher end devices completely and I agree on that, however I find it baffling that Samsung decides to update their budget devices months before the midrange ones, which, surely should not be the case.
0 Likes
Phoenix142
Helping Hand
Options
you lost me when you considering a 350 pound device the top.Pixel 4a, Oneplus nord both cost more than yours and have significantly better soft and hardware.

not a fan of them just facts.

if you can tolerate delays because your 350 pound phone with 5G and slightly harder to update device over a M31 without?

you're getting top tier AoS as well as a OUI that you essentially haven't even paid for.

lastly. you might want to check again, more than half of the shipped units have the same problems, it's software relayed and acknowledged by Samsung.

you can't honestly sit and think because something works in the US where you ARENT , that it MUST here too.

laws, regulations, guidelines, age restrictions, policies, ALL of it applies to all of the US simultaneously whilst each state and carrier can tweak as needed.

in the EU and Asia? entirely different.

Once again. be happy your low budget phone is getting serviced already considering it came out 11 months ago. and if you think you're going to wait shorter or similar time next year on your final android update think again, you will have the lowest priority whilst still getting done as promised.

security patches? i honestly don't want to get onto that one, with the Huawei fiasco and brexit neither of can even begin to guess how that affects Samsumg or its consumers.

let me be clear though. a 350 pound launch price in 2020 is NOT top tier, look at the A90 in comparison ? it's beats yours by a mile in every aspect and only launched at 20 pounds more.

the year before.

also, reputable? Motorola? that went bankrupt and got bought by Google as F.U to samsung them sold 2 days after google/samsumg agreement for a 10 bill loss?

I have my own disputes with Samsung as much as I love them, but there are times you must be realistic. there are complications behind the curtains being ironed out and instead of scrapping the A range they work on it and get you there.

oneplus? not so much.
Google? the owner of android who gives ALL their in-house devices regardless of age priority access with a 1 to 3 month advance over its competitors with the exact same agreement? and just a footnote there, Google too have been late recently with security updates to even the 4 which is also a "flagship"
0 Likes