Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Why does the A21s have two microphones?

(Topic created on: 11-01-2021 01:15 PM)
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

The A21s has a mic on both the top and bottom edges, but I can't find any information in the documentation for the functionality/purpose of the top mic.

Any advice please?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options

Hey there fade2gray!

Since the Galaxy S6 (and possibly earlier), Samsung's handsets have been fitted with dual mics. The top mic is used alongside the bottom mic when the handset is in loudspeaker mode, and the top mic's also used if you turn on Stereo recording in the voice recorder app. I believe it's also used when recording video.

Hope this helps,

Tom 🙂

View solution in context

10 REPLIES 10
Solution
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options

Hey there fade2gray!

Since the Galaxy S6 (and possibly earlier), Samsung's handsets have been fitted with dual mics. The top mic is used alongside the bottom mic when the handset is in loudspeaker mode, and the top mic's also used if you turn on Stereo recording in the voice recorder app. I believe it's also used when recording video.

Hope this helps,

Tom 🙂

fade2gray
Explorer
Options

Thanks Tom, but the A21s user manual makes no mention of stereo recording and the voice recorder v21.2.22.07 has no option for stereo mode in settings - neither can I find any mention of stereo recording in video recording mode. 🤔

0 Likes
SirStottalot
Pathfinder
Options
Or maybe Samsung clocked on to all the Dummies that used to speak in to the Speaker when on loudspeaker 🤣
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Possibly the A21 does not have the Stereo option but the General Guide for Voice Recording is here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-use-the-voice-recorder/     Sound quality though is likely to be average.   A bit more here https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-a21s/review 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
fade2gray
Explorer
Options

So, in a nutshell, the top mic is redundant.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

No, read CrazyTom's post.

fade2gray
Explorer
Options

Yep, I missed the point about the top mic used during hands-free/speakerphone mode - tested and proved - thanks for making me re-read, but, as stated, no stereo recording option in the voice recorder or video recorder.

fade2gray
Explorer
Options

I find the the voice recorder quite adequate as dictaphone. I also use it for recording and reporting noise-nuisance from a persistently noisy neighbour - the only drawback being that it performs best when the bottom mic is aimed at the source, so an option to toggle between mics, or the ability for the screen to flip 180 vertically (the same as it can flip 180 horizontally) would have been great. 😁

UwU1
Apprentice
Options

the reason the samsung galaxy a21s has 2 microphones is because it is to get better sound clarity to the video or the person you are talking to

0 Likes