Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The samsung camera app won't work unless the "Nearby device" permission is granted

(Topic created on: 02-02-2022 08:23 AM)
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

I noticed that the samsung camera app won't work unless the "Nearby device" permission is granted. It will just crash as if the app cannot run without this permission, which is a nonesense.

Problem is, nearby device permission gives access to bluetooth scanning, which is a way to locate a smartphone (any other bluetooth device could be linked to a location) and therefore a privacy issue.

I understand that for some users wanting to share pictures over bluetooth, or connect to wearables, this permission could be usefull, but for others this is just a way to force them to accept smartphone location by Samsung.

Please Samsung, correct this bug !

24 REPLIES 24
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
Have you tried
Click on camera app
Settings
Reset Settings
0 Likes
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Hi,
I don't find the "reset settings". Here is what I do :

- I click on the camera app : a message appears telling me I have to grant the nearby device permission, and a button to go to setting

- I click on the button and access the app informations : I see notifications, permissions... but no "reset settings"

xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
Does going settings
Apps
Camera
Settings
0 Likes
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Yes, this is the same screen, but I see no 'reset settings' in the app information screen.

To be sure : I do not want to give the nearby device permission. 😀

wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

Hey ! Someone from Samsung can explain why we must acept to get tracked by Samsung to use the Camera App ??

AndrewL
Options

@wizardofoz: If you're referring to Location tracking, then this is to allow the app to provide location tags for captured photos and videos. If you'd prefer not to enable this feature then please head to Settings > Apps > Camera > Permissions > Location > Don't Allow. Alternatively, open the Camera app > Tap the cog symbol > Location Tags, and toggle this option off. 

0 Likes
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

No I talk about the "Nearby Device" permission, which could be used to track users. I cannot run the Camera App when I deny this permission : the app simply closes (or crashes).

Ididntaskforthis
Apprentice
Options
Looks like Samsung doesn't have an answer to your question, it feels like a feature that's just shoved down our throats.
I don't want to use Nearby Device when using my camera, how do I switch it off and still be able to use my camera?
wizardofoz
Explorer
Options

It's a pity that Android 12 strengthens security by giving more control on the app permissions, a.o. localisation, and to see that Samsung tries to bypass it and force users to give info about their localisation. Is it GDPR-compliant by the way ?