Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung A42 5G software bug

(Topic created on: 21-01-2021 10:05 AM)
Members_KXYx0YR
Journeyman
Options

When using the WIFI options to choose the WIFI network to connect to the following problems are seen. 

1. My router has both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WIFI bands, But the phone will only list 1 entry with no indication if it see's the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz band signal.

2. You cannot choose to connect to either WIFI band due to the issue in item 1.

This I believe is a software BUG as if I go in to my router settings I can turn off the 2.4 GHz WIFI and it will connect to 5 GHz band without issues, I can still connect 2.4 GHz signal if I turn off the 5 GHz signal from my router settings. This shows BOTH bands are working just fine. When the software scans both bands and see's the same WIFI name ( SSID ) it only lists 1 entry with no indication of which band the entry is from. 

Example of my TV ( WIFI SSID is only an example and not the real name of my WIFI).

Bush TV

router12234

router1234(5 GHz)

... (More WIFI routers listed here)

Samsung A42 5G

router1234

.... (More WIFI routers listed here)

There is no entry for each band on the Samsung A42 5G phone, and no indication of what entry ( which band ) got listed. This does NOT allow the user to choose which band without altering settings on the router ( which you should never have to do).

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

@Members_KXYx0YR 

hello

I suggests to edit the name of the SSIDs of your router for you to easily identify which to connect,

sample

virus_2.4

virus_5.0

please restart the router and phone

thanks. 😎

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
Members_KXYx0YR
Journeyman
Options

When i change the 2.4 GHz WIFI name it also changes the 5 GHz WIFI name. It's a Sky router and doesn't allow different names ( on different WIFI bands ).

0 Likes
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

Alright, with this you need to get in touch with Sky if they can give you admin username of your router for you to access the router's advanced menu

😎

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
Members_KXYx0YR
Journeyman
Options

if i go to the settings on my router and change the WIFI SSID name for the 2.4 GHz band then go to the 5 GHz band the name also has changed. This fix would only be any good for when i am home.

If I go out and use somebody else's WIFI then I face the same issue again. There are 1000's of free WIFI hotspots up and down the country that all share the same name. These sometimes are dual band, Should I contact all the owners and ask them to use different names for the different bands they use, just because my phone doesn't or can't list more than one entry due to a software issue ( I apologize for any sarcasm, i am just trying to give the bigger picture with no disrespect to you personally). 

Any temporary fix i do at home will NOT fix the issue properly. As soon as you leave my home network the issue is back.  This needs to be addressed in software, simply as I personally don't and cannot control every free WIFI hotspot in the country ( to make it a permanent fix)

I apologize again for any sarcasm and repeat I am not trying to disrespect you personally and i appreciate your efforts in trying to help.

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That's how it is, the phone will connect to the strongest signal, nothing will change that. The phone being set to 5ghz only would suffer sketchy coverage which is dealt with by using 2.4ghz.As mentioned by lunaticore the only workable solution is at the router end but mass produced cheapo routers are basic in their functionality. I have the same issue with a BT Smart (?) Hub.
0 Likes
Members_KXYx0YR
Journeyman
Options

Well it's nice to know ( in one sense) that there is nothing wrong with my phone. It is something that i believe Samsung should look at. On most other devices that are dual band they show the results in a better way (i.e. list each band separately or show 1 of the bands with an identifier so the user knows and can select which band they would like to connect to.

Thanks for confirming that the issue/bug  is NOT my phone that needs a repair or replacement. i am going to mark your response as the solved issue as it explains that the issue is not just my phone and that it is a software issue that for now i have to live with. 

Thanks to both of you ( for all your help. 

stay safe and have a good day both of you