Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung A21s Colour Problem

(Topic created on: 07-02-2021 05:34 PM)
Miked4300
Apprentice
Options

I have an A21s and overall I'm happy with the phone, however the display does not seem correct.

The colours appear to be 'washed out' and not as vibrant as expected. It's immediately noticeable with the Red of the Camera and Gallery icons, as well as the Green of the Phone and WhatsApp icons. 

I realise this is a budget phone, however I've previously owned other A-series handsets, as well as J-series, and I have never experienced a similar issue. 

I have tried adjusting the few display settings that exist, as well as some 3rd party tools, but nothing has improved the colour.

The option for 'Screen Mode' does not exist on this model, and there are no clear options to adjust contrast or colour tones

I think it is probably a simple fix, or calibration, for Samsung to make. Alternatively I'm hoping its something that could be addressed in v11 of Android. 

Has anyone else observed a similar issue with this model?

And more importantly could someone from Samsung please respond with some advice or to acknowledge this as a known issue? (and hopefully one that is being addressed)

Thanks.

Mike

15 REPLIES 15
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
you may have blue light filter on and that may be the issue, also the A21s has a HD+ 720p LCD so of course it will look a bit washed out.
0 Likes
Miked4300
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately it's not related to the Blue Light filter.

In terms of the 720p yes I'm aware of the screen resolution and type, but I've had similar screens on other A and J series handsets, but they have still had more vibrant colours.

Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
Because A and J series devices prior to 2019 pretty much all used OLED displays, even the j1 2016 which has much better colours then a TFT LCD like an a21. The reason those displays looked better is because they were better
0 Likes
Miked4300
Apprentice
Options

Thanks.

Yes, I see you are right on the AMOLED screens of the previous years handsets. I accept what you're saying about the A21s being a lower quality screen. 

Thank you for this answer.

What I still don't fully understand though is that it's not so much that it "doesn't look as good", it's more that the colours are inaccurate.

For example the camera icon that is normally red, instead is washed out.

However, I have seen deeper reds on the screen in other areas so the screen is clearly capable of these more vibrant colours, but for some reason the calibration, or matching, of colours is inaccurate.

Perhaps this is just how it is and it's not a software fix. 

Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options
I haven't had access to a device with a TFT panel from Samsung apart from the A20e, and on that phone the colours look a little more washed out then a oled display but it doesn't look too different tbh and I have heard a lot of talk about the A21s having a dull display on this community forum before, so I think it's juts something in the display design that is causing this
0 Likes
Ty2
First Poster
Options

I'm not having any issues with the color, and it looks perfect for me. Also if you still have the phone make sure the color inversion isn't on.

0 Likes
Gunthergermaine
Apprentice
Options

My mom's phone had same issue where red was displaying as burgundy. I went to settings/accesssibility/visibility enhancements and turned off color correction.  All colors are now displaying the same as my Galaxy.

Adithyan S
Apprentice
Options

@Miked4300 wrote:

I have an A21s and overall I'm happy with the phone, however the display does not seem correct.

The colours appear to be 'washed out' and not as vibrant as expected. It's immediately noticeable with the Red of the Camera and Gallery icons, as well as the Green of the Phone and WhatsApp icons. 

I realise this is a budget phone, however I've previously owned other A-series handsets, as well as J-series, and I have never experienced a similar issue. 

I have tried adjusting the few display settings that exist, as well as some 3rd party tools, but nothing has improved the colour.

The option for 'Screen Mode' does not exist on this model, and there are no clear options to adjust contrast or colour tones

I think it is probably a simple fix, or calibration, for Samsung to make. Alternatively I'm hoping its something that could be addressed in v11 of Android. 

Has anyone else observed a similar issue with this model?

And more importantly could someone from Samsung please respond with some advice or to acknowledge this as a known issue? (and hopefully one that is being addressed)

Thanks.

Mike

I have the same problem colours looks washed out I have another device in phone with the same display and specifications m12 in which colours looks correct.

0 Likes
Zumbuk
Student
Options

Same problem here ,reds look like burgundy or grey in some cases ,phone is 12mths old ,hopefully next update might fix it ,Anyone tried a factory reset ?