Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished but sold as new?

(Topic created on: 22-05-2022 11:48 AM)
calmac61
Apprentice
Options
Hi, I recently bought a supposedly new A70 from an Amazon retailer and when it arrived I registered it with Samsung using the IMEI number from the unopened box.  I discovered that the warranty had already expired last June.

I suspect I have been sold a refurbished phone, is there any way to check this in the phone itself (as you can with Apple phones)?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
I would just contact Samsung directly and ask them to check.
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If the box has been opened and its sold as new.
I'd be looking at getting my money back.
Worth checking the model number to see if its a UK model.
Trouble with third party sellers, you never really know what you will end up with
calmac61
Apprentice
Options
The listing states condition = new.
It came sealed in an intact cellophane wrapper. There was no warranty card in the box. The plug is Samsung and still wrapped. The earphones are 3rd party but appear new. The phone had the Samsung protective label on the screen.

Model number is SM-A705FN/DS, is that a UK model?

It may just have been an unopened return that was reshelved but I would like to know if there is a way to interrogate the settings to see if it's been refurbished.

If that turns out to be the case then I'll seek a refund.
0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That model number comes up with these countries
Screenshot_20220522-175507_Chrome_13236_1653238526.jpg
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
I would just return it full stop. Buying it as new but the warranty is expired and earphones are 3rd party (if earphones are branded AKG then they're standard partners to Samsung for earphones)... Not my cup of tea this.

Usually, in my experience, doing returns through Amazon is easy but I would take photos of everything to cover your back.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Cellophane wrapping machines are dirt cheap, don't be fooled by that. I wouldn't buy a phone or Tablet off an Amazon Marketplace Vendor regardless of how many 'positive' reviews they may have paid for...
0 Likes
calmac61
Apprentice
Options

After discussion with Samsung they have agreed to provide me with 2 years’ warranty on the phone.  I’m rather impressed (and pleasantly surprised) that they have done so.  If they hadn't then I would simply have sent it back for a refund and bought from an authorised Samsung outlet instead.

I doubt that I’ll ever use a non-Samsung seller for a phone again; lesson learned.

While I appreciate the unsolicited consumer advice, it wasn’t what I needed an answer to.  I’m fully aware of my consumer rights and remedies.

I wanted to know if there was a method of verifying within the phone itself (as Apple phones can) whether it had been refurbished.  It’s immaterial now for my situation but I’m still curious to know if it exists.
0 Likes
cameronweir73
Student
Options

I have had a few Samsung phones and they have never come in a cellophane wrapper, they have come in their official box with official Samsung break seals. If the break seals have been broken then you know the box has been opened and you wouldn't accept the phone as being new.