Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos too big on A20e

(Topic created on: 23-07-2020 03:43 PM)
ca32
Journeyman
Options

I don't need photos bigger than 1MB and preferably smaller.  I don't want to contribute to global warming via unneccesary cloud storage.  The smallest my A20e camera takes is 2 or 3 MB and I don't want to have to use HEIC files.  I could get my previous phone to take photos sized around 200KB.  Without having to go through the tedious process of reducing the size after taking them, is there any way I can adjust my A20e phone settings to take smaller photos?

16 REPLIES 16
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey there ca32!

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but I don't think there's a way to make your photos smaller. But, bigger photos mean better quality (especially if viewing on bigger screens). If you're worried about using up all your phone's storage, maybe consider treating yourself to a microSD card to store your photos. As for shrinking photos though, I'd just stick with the bigger file size and enjoy the increase in quality when you look at the photos on a big screen.

All the best, and stay awesome!
Tom 🙂
0 Likes
ca32
Journeyman
Options

Obviously I have a microSD card but I just don't want, or need, to be sending huge unnecessary size photos to cloud storage.  It's all just contributing to pointless global warming.  Preventing us from taking smaller resolution photos is a backward step in sustainability.   We dont all need huge resolution pics every time. No-one at Samsung seems to think about this.

ro26
Navigator
Options
i am curious, how does the cloud and the size of the pics affects global warming?
CrazyTom2k2
Helping Hand
Options
Hey there again ca32!

I mean, I can think of a few key reasons why sending photos to cloud storage is a bonus. If your phone gets broken beyond repair, or requires a reset, you've still got all your photos in the cloud. If you wanna stop contributing to Global Warming, don't own a phone, fridge, freezer or car. Cloud services are still running, regardless of whether you use them or not (and I'm pretty sure Google's running their servers off of renewable energy). Don't worry so much about global warming, enjoy your life! The biggest cause of Global Warming is probably Car or Plane pollution. Maybe buy yourself a Tesla 😜.

(If you're worried about global warming, stick your salty attitude back in the sea. Sorry, it had to be said 😅. If I'm honest, it wasn't all that obvious)
0 Likes
ca32
Journeyman
Options

Hi - cloud storage uses up huge amounts of fossil fuel keeping all that data cool. 

AntS
Options

@ca32 wrote:

Obviously I have a microSD card but I just don't want, or need, to be sending huge unnecessary size photos to cloud storage.  It's all just contributing to pointless global warming.  Preventing us from taking smaller resolution photos is a backward step in sustainability.   We dont all need huge resolution pics every time. No-one at Samsung seems to think about this.

I dunno. I understand the point about not needing high resolution pics every time - and indeed the environmental impact of cloud storage. But for me, I think the ideal and more satisfactory solution for that impact would be more about making cloud storage more environmentally friendly and efficient overall. The option of reducing the size and quality of just one digital media type, even if implemented, doesn't seem to me to tackle the fundamental issue all that well.

0 Likes
ca32
Journeyman
Options

OK.  Seems that no-one has a solution to adjusting A20 phone cameras to take smaller photos without having to use HEIC files or go through the process of reducing them afterwards.

It's just sad that Samsung's policy of creating phones that take ever bigger photos is working against the planet.  Bigger  photos >bigger storage in cloud  > more fossil fuel pumping out cooling systems for ever increasing amounts of selfies, etc.

Je655
Helping Hand
Options

Have you considered using a camera app from the play store? Im sure there is a camera app you could download that can take your lower quality pictures when you need them. 

ca32
Journeyman
Options

Now that sounds like an interesting solution!  I'll go and check them out.  Any recommendations for good apps appreciated.