Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Galaxy A40

(Topic created on: 13-06-2020 08:46 PM)
Viperinelight50
Student
Options

Hi there,

I have been using a Galaxy A40 since December 2019, and while the phone is generally alright, there are a few issues that cause me great frustration, to the point where I am considering returning it to Amazon and purchasing another (non-Samsung) handset.

1. The camera - while it can take pretty decent photos in good lighting, I am consistently finding myself rather dissatisfied with the photos that come out. Everything seems a bit smooth, and details are always killed off by overly aggressive noise reduction. The oversaturation is sometimes way off too.
    Photo taken of a carpet in fairly good indoor lighting. Shows the softness.Photo taken of a carpet in fairly good indoor lighting. Shows the softness.Shows the softness once again. Incredibly frustratingShows the softness once again. Incredibly frustratingPhoto taken with the ultrawide camera, in good lighting. The overall image is rather poor, especially near the edges. It is soft and the colours are unrealistic.Photo taken with the ultrawide camera, in good lighting. The overall image is rather poor, especially near the edges. It is soft and the colours are unrealistic.

The ultrawide camera is just plain unusable, I have not taken a single photo that isn't a soft, fuzzy mess. Video quality on the main lens is passable, minus some rather ugly warping from the crappy stabilisation, and dodgy focus. Again, the ultrawide is unusable.
  2. The battery - when I first got the phone, I was pleasantly surprised with the battery performance as I expected far worse from a 3100mAh cell, but this soon flipped. The main issue is stand by time, an issue I know is prevalent with Exynos chips. I also find if the screen is above 50% brightness, the battery drains a ton. I usually have to recharge by about 17:00, with a measly 4/5 hours of SOT.
  3. The performance - jesus christ this thing is slow. Not quite as slow as my old Motorlola Moto G5, but the speed of the phone is seriously underwhelming, with plenty of stutters and freezing. I have already had to factory reset the phone once to try and fix the issues, but surprise surprise, the issues have returned. It's my #1 gripe with the phone as it negatively impacts daily usage.

Any tips on how to fix these issues, if any? I am on the verge of replacing the phone, but feel a bit bad giving up on such a new phone that cost £219.

1 REPLY 1
Viperinelight50
Student
Options

Bit the bullet and returned it. Bought a Google Pixel 3a instead and it's miles better.

0 Likes