Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the message "You just used quick launch to open the camera"

(Topic created on: 26-10-2022 11:50 PM)
rsrrll
First Poster
Options

I regularly use quick launch to open my camera, by double tapping the power button. I used this feature for years access a range of Samsung and Android phones. 

I recently purchased a new Samsung A21 5G, and when I use quick launch I get a pop up message at the bottom of the screen says "you just used quick launch to open the camera". I then have to tap the message to make it go away. This seems to happen every time in indoor/darker light, and occasionally outside.

I would understand if the message popped up once and went away, but it doesn't. I can quick launch 10 times in a row and it will pop up every time. 

This is extremely annoying.  

Screenshot_20220304-072356_Camera.jpg

34 REPLIES 34
no17
Explorer
Options

so tired of being lied to when you ask a sensible reasonable question, these people answering our questions do not know anything they punch your question into a computer and they read what the computer says and punch it back to you, they're ***** liars misinformed, I have been lifelong Samsung owner, always like Samsung but that one stupid feature has made me drop Samsung, this is ridiculous, the photos that I have missed because of that stupid pop-up and no way of getting rid of it, and then being lied to by saying it only happens on low and phones

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

how can it be unexpected or uninformed when you have all of these people saying the same thing to you, and yes it is locked and unlocked same pop up, and what should the difference be if it's locked The whole purpose of quick launch is so you can grab your phone quickly push your phone button two times and snap a picture, what is your brain malfunction and you are asking people not to be rude and abrasive when you are trying to tell them that they need to buy a more expensive high-end phone when it happens to all of them

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

uneducated lying Samsung employees giving us replies to these threads because they punched a couple of buttons in their computer and are completely just reading what the screen is telling them they have no idea and try to play it off like they do have an idea, on top of that we get told that it's only on low end phones need to buy a higher end phone, this is class actionable, straight being lied to and then being manipulated to buy a more expensive phone, at least in the United States that is against the law, what's your apply to that, I am sending this on a Galaxy S10, but yet you're trying to tell me that it is a Note 20? And you want us to be less abrasive? stop lying give us reasonable answers at least say to us that you will investigate instead of try to pretend that you know what you're talking about when you don't and you're just reading the computer screen in front of you when you punch in the notes, you're probably using iPhone don't you?

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

And unlike the other poster, I would like a reply, I would like you to reply intelligently to all of the replies and posts that I have made on this subject on this page, if I'm wrong I will accept and apologize, so please educate me

no17
Explorer
Options

And by the way I am not a new member I have been buying Samsung's phones since Note 1 and the very first Galaxy

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

you are an ***** by telling people that is only in capital bold letters for low end phones, Galaxy S10 Galaxy Note 20 5G phones are those all low end you *****, quick launches to take quick pictures, doesn't work you *****

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

try pressing the okay button? You're an ***** as well as the other responders to these questions, what the point is quick launch if you have to take the time to push extra buttons, you lose the shot you *****

0 Likes
no17
Explorer
Options

You're an ***** what is the point of quick launch if you have to press okay every single time you quick launch?

0 Likes
PantherDave
Student
Options

I came here looking for a solution to an annoyance with my phone, and quickly realized that it's an unintended side effect of a feature created to prevent accidental photography. I appreciate all the posters who helped me figure out what's going on, as well as keeping things respectful, kind, and appropriate. So I bought this phone, and I received what I paid for. There's really a lot to like about it, and I'm still very happy with my purchase. I understand that Samsung doesn't owe me anything and they probably aren't still paying people to keep improving all the little things on an S10 in 2022. And I'm not entitled to hire Samsung personnel to work on projects for me, free or paid. Anyways, I'll be unsubscribing from this thread, so I may not see future replies. Thanks again!

AntS
Options

Hi all,

Some insight to share.

General points:

• As far as I’m aware, GalaxyA51user, who was the first to reply to the topic, isn’t a Samsung employee. They’re a customer.
  • People can (and do) get things wrong on the Community. It may seem odd at first glance, but it's an essential quality of a community such as this: no one is all-knowing; and we can all both teach and learn from one another. (It's also why the Community TOS and Guidelines advise following advice on the Community at your own discretion.)
  • Appreciate that there's often a degree of emotion involved in some topics, but there are good ways of feeding things back and correcting mistakes or misconceptions. Unnecessarily personal abuse/insults towards others who took the time and effort to reply with advice or insight (even if it’s mistaken or ultimately doesn’t work) isn’t one of those good ways.

On-topic:

I have an S10 – which is very definitely a high-end device. I can confirm that the same Quick Launch message appears on my device too. And yes, I fully agree it daftly and very annoyingly undermines the whole point of Quick Launch.

The response from the error reports and log files I sent, along with some back-and-forth conversation with the developers, confirms that the messaging is a result of a feature to prevent accidental camera activation in a pocket (as PantherDave alluded to above). In an S10’s case it uses a combination of the power button pressed twice, very low-light conditions (0 lux according to the devs), and the HRM sensor being covered/very close to an object.

That prevention of accidental pocket detection feature makes sense, except that in the current concept I can easily replicate false positives (as can other users), so it’s something that needs refinement or a comprehensive re-think of how it’s implemented IMO – a view which I’ve fed back to the developers.

Given the appearance of the exact same Quick Launch messaging I’m guessing the same kind of object proximity-detection logic is being used for devices without an HRM sensor too. (The developers I spoke with have advised visiting a Samsung Support Centre for additional specific inspection or advice regarding the correct functioning and use of any particular device’s hardware.)

It's far from ideal, but until the developers can figure out a better way of doing the pocket detection in the future, it would just be a case of trying to avoid/reduce situations where a proximity sensor is covered or very close to an object.