Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphone Jack Specification on Samsung Mobiles

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:26 PM)
FozzieBear
First Poster
Options

I am trying to ascertain the specification for the headphone socket for current Samsung Mobile phones before the introduction of USB-C.

We are a Village Hall in the UK and hirers often want to connect their Samsung phones to our audio system to play back music from their phones. We have a range of connectors from:-

• 3.5mm TS, (Tip, sleeve - normally Mono output I believe)
  • 3.5mm TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve - normally Stereo Output)
  • 3.5mm TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve - Introduced to allow headphones with microphone??)

The latter 3.5mm TRRS being the one I believe is the one compatible with most modern Samsung phones and certainly the official Samsung EO-IA500 seem to have a TRRS jack plug.

We use a lead with a 3.5mm TRRS Jack plug for Samsung mobiles and for some it works (the audio output from the phone stops when plugged in and transfers to the amp input) but for some it does not.

I have removed cases from phones to ensure the plug is inserted fully but it still does not connect.

Are there any peculiarities with some samsung phone models?

Also do you know if you can safely use a TRS jack which doesn't have the microphone connections

Many thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
Members_4bJyXBa
First Poster
Options

Hi,

the issue with TRRS standard is, it also includes conflicting wiring "sub-standarts" - in most cases it means mic and ground connection mixed, or TRS jack on TRRS making electrical short between mic and ground.

It is a mess :smiling-face:

Let's hope USB-C will solve it.

0 Likes