Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy A8 2018 MUST Get Android 10 - Petition

(Topic created on: 23-12-2019 02:47 PM)
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

Samsung's update policy, which means every phone gets 2 major updates MUST change. The Galaxy A8 2018 launched in January 2018 with nougat, before the s9 and Oreo while the j7 duo launched 2 months later with Oreo . This means the j7 duo, sold at exactly the same time as the A8, probably for half the price, will get android 10 while the A8 will not. Also, most A8 owners bought it after Oreo rolled out, 2-3 months later so not updating the phone to the newest version on android and making it a year's update before a worse phone should not be acceptable. And this may happen just because it was launched with a 1.5 year old os and had it for about 2 months. The Samsung update policy of 2 years is a lie for the A8 and a 2017 devices - it is more like only 1⅓ years of updates. Also there is nothing that the A6 2018 and all of the 2018 j series do better than the a8, despite all being sold at the same time and they will get android 10. Last year there was a similar petition for A 2017 devices to get pie, but Samsung didnt update them. Hopefully they do read this and learn that they won't make more sales of newer devices if they don't update older ones - it would just further damage their reputation. We must convince them to do this not just for the A8, but other devices like the S8 and note8 and for future updates as well. Android 10 will not roll out to Samsung devices for months, but if this is started now we can let them know early on so they have no excuses of not having enough time to make a new update, etc

206 REPLIES 206
KlemenC
Pioneer
Options

I'm really interested in this as well. If i judge by myself i would be willing to contribute to this cause.

It would be amazing to see that samsung opens a kickstarter for android 10 update for A8 and S8!

It would open a new source of revenue for samsung as well. Buisiness as usual :face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@SamsSon wrote:

Hi Rolf,

Do you know how much it would cost Samsung if they updated the A8 to Android 10?

No, I don't. But it would cost money to do that and Samsung would earn less because they would sell less hardware. Saving the planet is great, but somebody would have to pay for it.

As for me : I bought an S9 in october for 500 Eur knowing that I would get Android 10. I guess I'd have payed 600 Eur if that had included 2 more versions Android 11 and 12.

0 Likes
KlemenC
Pioneer
Options

50 per version sounds like a reasonable price to me

0 Likes
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@KlemenC wrote:

50 per version sounds like a reasonable price to me

Okay, then I suggest we ask Samsung to think about offering a longer period with major updates and security updates delivered, at least for some of the smartphones, in return for an appropriately increased price.

@AntS, @moderators : could you relay the message to Samsung Management that there are users who would very much like to pay for such a service ?

KlemenC
Pioneer
Options

Great! Looking forward for a response. Thank you

I thing a crowd funding option would make sense for them as it would limit updates to models with enough backers. So they don't take too much risk, for developing expense.

0 Likes
Cristhian87
First Poster
Options

I'm agrede... Samsung A8 plus is the best!!!

gadris1978
Journeyman
Options
Hi RolfVonHessen , I am not sure I will pay Samsung if they gave one or two more major versions to the A8. It is time for them to maybe update their business model and be more concerned by ecological issues. I bought my A8 18 months ago, I don't want to change it because of software obsolescence, but if I am forced to do it, I definetely won't buy a Samsung anymore. I can find the money to buy any flagship that I want, this is not the question, but I am tired to change phones every 1-2 years. And finally I think this is not normal. By exemple, I keep my computers more than 5 years, I 'd like to do the same with my phones. The mobile OS is important to customer satisfaction. Years ago, Nokia used their OS on their devices, they were the world leader and now they don't count anymore. Same for Blackbery machines with Blackberry 10 (which I loved , but I don't buy Blackberrys anymore ... I bought the A8 in replacement for my Passport and Keyone), same for the Windows mobile devices and so on. Samsung mobile phones are quite good but Samsung are not alones on the market.
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@gadris1978 wrote:
Hi RolfVonHessen , I am not sure I will pay Samsung if they gave one or two more major versions to the A8. It is time for them to maybe update their business model and be more concerned by ecological issues. I bought my A8 18 months ago, I don't want to change it because of software obsolescence, but if I am forced to do it, I definetely won't buy a Samsung anymore. [...]. Samsung mobile phones are quite good but Samsung are not alones on the market.

Yes, indeed, there are a lot of players in the market. If you find one that gives you longer support for the same money and that is what you want, you'd better choose it the next time you buy. What I don't understand is what you think they should do to their business model - voluntarily earn less money ? Because that is what would happen if they just gave longer support for the same money.

0 Likes
gadris1978
Journeyman
Options
This short-term thinking is extremely dangerous. If I buy a Samsung phone and two years after I am not satisfied and migrate to a competitor, do you think that Samsung earn money?
IreibeX
Hotshot
Options

@gadris1978 wrote:
This short-term thinking is extremely dangerous. If I buy a Samsung phone and two years after I am not satisfied and migrate to a competitor, do you think that Samsung earn money?

That's not my problem, but Samsung's. As to short-term thinking : what's your long-term perspective then - getting more for paying less ?

0 Likes