Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flight Mode - WiFi calling - Texting

(Topic created on: 20-11-2020 12:12 PM)
Members_J2TCm75
First Poster
Options

Hi,

In flight mode, with WiFi enabled, I can use WiFi calling on both my SIMs, Three and Virgin Media.

However, I can't send/receive texts from either SIM, so I'm assuming it's something related to the device (A51 5G)?

As soon as I turn Flight Mode off, regardless of WiFi calling being enabled/disabled, texting works as expected.

I believe texting SHOULD work with WiFi calling enabled, even when there is no signal, could someone confirm?

Thanks,

Carl.

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Aklima
Big Cheese
Options
Hi Carl,
Yes it works.
0 Likes
Members_J2TCm75
First Poster
Options

It doesn't unfortunately.

I send a text and nothing happens. As soon as I turn off flight mode the text is received.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
If you are using standard SMS you need mobile data.If you use RCS WiFi will be fine.
0 Likes
Members_J2TCm75
First Poster
Options

How do you tell? I'm using the standard 'Messages' app.

Three describes WiFi calling as "With Wi-Fi Calling, you can call and text whenever you're on Wi-Fi in the UK, even if there’s no mobile signal. "

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
What firmware are you using? Settings, about phone, software and let me know the baseband
0 Likes
Members_J2TCm75
First Poster
Options

A516BXXU3BTJ1

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
That is Taiwanese firmware. I think that's your issue. a workaround is to use Samsung messages with RCS. See https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.androidcentral.com/how-set-rcs-chat-samsung-phones%3famp
0 Likes
Members_J2TCm75
First Poster
Options

The phone was provided by Virgin Media so I'm unsure why the firmware wouldn't be as expected?

Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Just checked and it's already enabled (Rich Communications settings).

0 Likes
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
I've just checked mine and texts do still send when WiFi calling is activated with flight mode
0 Likes