(Topic created on: 15-07-2021 06:18 PM)
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
Samsung have just launched the new flagship of the A series,  
the new Samsung A72.
Do not buy it YET.
The new A72 does NOT Yet support 5G.
Wait a while until the newer version of the A72 is released which will support 5G.
On the plus side, let's compare the A71 to the new A72.
The A71 supports 5G
The A71 takes two physical sim cards in the tray and a micro sd card with support up to 512GB which is what I have in my A71.
The A72 does allow two phone numbers, but, the tray is reversible, so you either have two physical sim cards in the tray or one sim card and one micro SD card with support up to 1TB which is impressive.
But you can NOT have all three in at the same time in this smaller tray on the A72,
As the A72 will only allow TWO cards in these configurations.
You can have two numbers, the first number would be an ( E Sim ) that is programed into the phone.
the second number will be a physical sim card in the tray and the micro SD card on the tray.
Or no micro SD card and two physical sim cards.
I am against the ( E Sim ) cards for two reasons, firstly, in the UK none of the big four network providers offer an E Sim as a pay as you go.
It must be on contract, which is not what everyone wants.
Secondly, if you do a master reset of your phone, You also delete your programmed 
E SIM Number and you have to contact your network provider to send out a new programmed E SIM Bar code to scan and programme again into the A72 aftet a factory reset or take your device to the network provider shop for them to do.
This is a pain and too much hassle as it could mean being without your main number for a day or more.

The internal memory in the A72 is the same as the A71 , 128GB.
The RAM in the A72 is the same as the A71, 6GB RAM.

So apart from the A72 being a fraction bigger and a 5000mah Battery where the A71 has a 4500mah Battery
And the ability to support a
1TB micro SD card ,
The question you have to ask yourself, why bother buying the A72 as it is now when it costs more than the A71 and does not YET support 5G ?

Samsung, what are you guys doing ?
The flagship A72 series just launched does not yet support 5G ?????
Why should we buy the A72 ????

My advice to those like me that love the A series.

Stick to the A71 until Samsung upgrade the next version of the A72.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
ecosse01
Voyager
Options
Does not yet support 5G? How will it ever?

I'm guessing folks will buy this if there's no need/access to a 5G signal. I have a 5G device, if it connects to a 5G mobile network twice every 6 months I'm lucky.

For a lot of people that bigger battery will be the clincher.
0 Likes
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
You are right, but as Samsung decided to launch the flagship model of the A series, the A72, it makes me wonder, why would anyone want to pay alot more for a non 5G flagship A72 when they can pay alot less for a A71 that has 5G.
0 Likes
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
That bigger battery, only an extra 500mah increase, will not make much difference on this phone.
the Samsung A71 is a 4500mah battery and I am more than happy with that.
The A72 is 5000mah and will not make much difference.
If the processor is running at full capacity, if for example, you were playing a game on your phone, then the battery will run out alot quicker no matter what battery capacity you have.
However, if they had launched this phone with a 7000mah battery or 8000mah battery that would last two or three days, then that would be the clincher.
if Samsung made the phone twice as thick, the batter extra physical size of the battery would last for at least 2 or 3 days.
Yes, I agree.
Bigger physical battery size and more amps to handle more power.
That is what we want
0 Likes
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
The fact that it is the NEW released top of the range of the A series, You would think that Samsung would have all the features on the top of the range A series as they have on the lower of the range A series
0 Likes
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
The phone is too new, may have a few issues, I would get it exchanged for another one of the same model or get the A71.
I have always gone by the rule of thumb, wait for a few months after the phone has been released, before you buy it.
There are always little issues with every new released phone
0 Likes
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

This isn't anything new when you consider that the original A71 released in January of 2020 also didn't initially support 5G. It wasn't until June of that same year that someone would be able to get an A71 model that supported 5G.

The difference I could find between the A71 & A72 (non-5G models) are as follows:

1. The A72 uses Gorilla Glass 5 vs Gorilla Glass 3 on the A71.
  2. The A72 is IP67 certified (dust/water resistant, up to 1m for 30mins), the A71 don't have this certification.
  3. The A72 has a more responsive/brighter display, 90Hz/800 nits vs 60Hz/515 nits on the A71.
  4. The A72 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 720G vs the A71's Snapdragon 730 CPU.
  5. The A71 has a dedicated memory card slot while the A72 doesn't (dual SIM or single SIM + memory card).
  6. The A72 has more storage variants 128/256GB vs only 128GB on the A71.
  7. The A72 has stereo speaker vs the A71's single speaker (mono).
  8. The A71 supports FM Radio while the A72 doesn't.
  9. The A72 packs a 5000mAh battery vs the A71's 4500mAh battery.
  10. The A72 main camera supports OIS (optical image stabilization) while the A71's main camera doesn't.

To be honest, there just isn't enough here to justify buying a slightly more expensive phone just 18 months after buying an A71 unit. All in all though, you can see from the spec difference that the A72 is a more refined A71. It's just ashamed though, that some things end up being worst by comparison, like the dual SIM situation on the A72 for example.

0 Likes
STRATEGIST
Pathfinder
Options
Many good features, however, I would wait for Samsung to improve the new A72

0 Likes