Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't authenticate connection

(Topic created on: 10-06-2022 04:21 PM)
jtdad
Student
Options
My sons phone keeps saying 'couldn't authenticate connection' whenever he tries to connect to the WiFi at home, he has no problem in other places and all other devices connect fine so it must be the phone, has anyone any advice? His phone is an A12 and we use bt broadband 
0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Ventor
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@jtdad Hello, it is likely that your child's phone  is an model that supports 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi broadcasting and their access point / router / at home has 5 Ghz broadcasting. That is why it is incompatible. Almost all current routers have the possibility of working in both bands. Check these details. Greetings.

"The quieter you become-the more you are able to hear..."

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Also "couldn't authenticate connection " suggests an incorrect password.
jtdad
Student
Options
It's connected plenty in the past but every now and then it doesn't connect for a week or so, the password is all correct, this has been since he first got it, it's so frustrating
0 Likes
jtdad
Student
Options
I don't really understand any of that, I wouldn't know how to check the settings? Any advice?
0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Rebooting the router can clear up a lot of these issues. Turn the router off for 2 minutes and give it another try.
0 Likes
jtdad
Student
Options
I'll give that a bash but it's not worked in the past 😔
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If you are using the BT Home Hub there are two bands of wireless but you have to tell it to broadcast on separate SSID or it combines both bands under one. That is what trips up devices with only 2.4G usually. It's fairly easy to do, there's a removable card with the login information on the back of the router as I'm assuming that you haven't changed from the defaults. Use those credentials to log into the router from any device that does work with it (preferably over wired connection but you can use WiFi) and head the the wireless settings. Toggle the switch to separate the bands and the 5G will get a -5 at the end. You may need to reconnect those devices to the new network ID afterwards. Apply/save the changes and close the browser window.
jtdad
Student
Options
Thanks, I'll try that 👌🏽
0 Likes
ecosse01
Voyager
Options
That's not an option on newer hubs, it was "firmwared" out.
0 Likes