Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth not connecting with anything on A8 since latest update

(Topic created on: 17-05-2019 02:07 PM)
TaylorJ1
Apprentice
Options

My phone updated on 22/04/2019 and since this date my bluetooth will not connect to anything.

I first tried with my fitbit, a charge 2. It pops up on the screen saying 'connected charge 2' and then 'disconnected charge 2' after about 15-30 seconds. If I try to sync the fitbit through the app a few times, it comes up saying there is a bluetooth issue and to reset bluetooth, but when I press this it doesn't make any difference. I thought it was the fitbit but it won't connect to my satnav either. For this it keeps popping up telling me to put in the password - it then tries to connect and says it can't. 

I spoke to a guy on the live chat who guided me through clearing my cache and data on bluetooth, and reseting all network connections. However nothing seems to work. Any ideas? 

129 REPLIES 129
liz50
Apprentice
Options
Contact us doesn't come up
michguzrat
Student
Options

Also having the same problem. My phone also no longer connects to the built-in bluetooth in my car. 

michguzrat
Student
Options

I just contacted Live Chat support to help with this issue. 

Here's a copy of the transcript for the part that worked with my device: 

Morgan: 

Let's launch the phone in the safe mode. It will disable all third party apps in the phone until you restart. We can isolate the issue in the safe mode. I will help you with steps. 

Morgan: 

1)Press and hold power button until you get power menu.

Morgan: 

2)Tap and hold on Power off option.

Morgan: 

3)The phone will go to Safe mode.

Michelle: Okay, it is going into safe mode
Morgan: 

Is safe mode appear  on the phone screen?

Michelle: yes
Morgan: 

Now check Bluetooth connection issue. 

Michelle: I tried with my fitbit and it said "cannot pair"
Morgan: 

Keep me posted. 

Morgan: 

Okay. Let's reset settings of the phone. It will not erase the phone. It just reset all settings. So It might help  us.  I will help you with steps. 

Morgan: 

Settings>>Search"Reset settings">>Tap on reset settings.

Michelle: okay, it has reset
Morgan: 

Now check with result and let me know. 

I checked it with my Fitbit Charge 2 and Hidrate Spark water bottle and it works now! Hope this helps others!

NLsam
Journeyman
Options

Have this same issue since my A8 updated. It will not connect to anything... Speakers, cars, but most frustratingly my fitbit alta hr. Has anyone found any sort of fix? 

0 Likes
Delta3
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for the post, michguzrat. I tried this but it seems to have made it worse... Before it wouldn't sync properly with the Fitbit, but now it won't even pair. Ugh. Samsung, sort this out!
Jy22
Apprentice
Options

Michguzrat

Thanks for posting that. I'm glad it worked for you, but it unfortunately didnt work for me. Sigh. So frustrating 😫

liz50
Apprentice
Options

I'm the same phone won't recognise memory card,  I've gone back to old phone memory card is recognised and Bluetooth works , still struggling with fit bit tho , so frustrating .

0 Likes
Delta3
Apprentice
Options

New details. I contacted Samsung live chat and the transcript is below. The long and short - no fix.

Kevin: 

Thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

DF: Hi, I'm looking for assistance with a galaxy a8. It's having connectivity problems over Bluetooth, specifically with Fitbit devices, since an update a few weeks ago
DF: It connected fine before the update
Kevin: 

Let me check that for you.

Kevin: 

Provide me  the IMEI number of device. You can find it in Settings>>About phone>>Status and you'll find the IMEI number in that.

DF: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Kevin: 

Thank you.

Kevin: 

Is there any physical or liquid damage on device?

DF: No.
DF: I have tried the following to try and fix it:
DF: - restart the device
DF: - turn Bluetooth on and off again
Kevin: 

Are you able to connect the mobile to other devices?

DF: - try to connect in safe mode
DF: - reset device settings to defaults
DF: - and I have successfully connected another phone to the Fitbit, demonstrating that it is not the Fitbit that is the problem
DF: None of those attempted fixes were successful
Kevin: 

Did you try clearing cache, data and reset network settings?

DF: In fact, before I reset the device settings, I could pair to the device but the sync didn't work properly. After the reset, it won't even pair.
DF: I have cleared the cache for Bluetooth settings, but not data or reset network settings
Kevin: 

Please perform the below steps

Kevin: 

Tap on Settings>>General Management>>Reset>>Reset network settings.

DF: Done. Trying to connect again
Kevin: 

Tap on Settings>>apps>>three dots on upper right side>>show system apps>>Bluetooth>>Storage>>Clear data

DF: Done, trying to connect again
DF: "Couldn't pair. Check settings for this device and try again"
Kevin: 

In this case the next best option we recommend you to visit the nearest Samsung service center to get the device physically examined by our technicians and ensure a fix for it.

Kevin: 

Help me with the postal code. I'll provide you the nearest Samsung service center details.

DF: XXXXXX
Kevin: 

Thank you.

Kevin: 

Here are the authorized service center details

Kevin: 

uBreakiFix Bedford DARTMOUTH,

Address 30 Logiealmond Close, B3B 0C8

Operating Hours

MONDAY: 10AM-7PM
TUESDAY: 10AM-7PM
WEDNESDAY: 10AM-7PM
THURSDAY: 10AM-7PM
FRIDAY: 10AM-7PM
SATURDAY: 10AM-7PM
SUNDAY: 12PM-5PM Phone Number(902) 832-7650

DF: And this is free, right?
Kevin: 

Yes, it is for free only if there is no physical or liquid damage on device.

DF: Because as far as I'm concerned, this phone that is about a month old has been rendered less functional by that update, and Samsung must make good on this.
Kevin: 

I understand your concern.

Kevin: 

Our authorized Samsung Service Center should ensure the fix and you should be able to use the phone without any interruption going forward.

DF: And if they cannot? Because I suspect this is a software issue with the phone, and not something that can be easily fixed through settings,..
Kevin: 

Once you visit the service center they'll provide you the available options to ensure a fix for it.

DF: Ok. Thank you

NLsam
Journeyman
Options

Yeah. That's more or less exactly what they said to me, and I have the same concerns as you. This definitely seems like a software issue, as it's only been since the last update... My phone won't connect to any Bluetooth device at all. I can get some connectivity after freshly resetting Bluetooth data/cache, but it quickly goes back to being unstable and/or not working at all.

TaylorJ1
Apprentice
Options

Hi, OP here.

I actually took my phone to a Samsung centre last weekend but was waiting for it to be resolved before I posted

Their initial diagnostics showed nothing wrong. It then went to the techs in back and I left it there for a few hours. At the end of the day they told me it's something wrong with the mainboard. I'm not very tech savvy so I'm a bit confused how the software update can affect the hardware but we'll see.

They couldn't order it in until the Tuesday (this was at the weekend) and I couldn't get there during the week, so we agreed they will order the part and I will bring it in this coming weekend, and they can fix it on the day. However I called to check it was in on Thursday and I was told they don't have it, and they don't order parts until the phone is physically there to be repaired. This means I will be taking it in this weekend and not having a phone for a week, not very happy as they told me the incorrect info in store. I might as well have left it there last weekend, so I am feeling quite frustrated with them.

Once this gets gets resolved I'll confirm whether it's fixed the issue.