Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A70 main camera focus issue

(Topic created on: 23-06-2020 09:34 PM)
CalinP
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys,

I just bought a Galaxy A70 and I have a problem with the main camera.

When taking photos outdoors, these are out of focus. Even if I touch a point on the screen, I can see the image focusing on the subject for a split second and then getting out of focus. I tried different ratios (16:9, full, 3:4(H), 3:4), scene optimiser on and off and still I only get blurry images (which is quite annoying, since I was expecting an upgrade from the J7 Prime I was using).

I don't think there is something wrong with the camera itself, as it seems to focus properly if I choose to zoom in (even at just 1.2x). Wide camera also works properly.

Anybody else has this issue?

Cheers.

41 REPLIES 41
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options
You can see your camera has focused on your dashboard, so the outside detail / subject won't be in focus, I forget what fstop these tiny camera equate to in real photography terms but you would probably need something way over f14 probably closer to f22 in order to capture detail from both your in car location and the outside sign...these tiny sensors probably wouldn't be able to resolve that much detail, unless they found a way to stack images, like for HDR but instead create an illusion of a smaller fstop , layering shots for detail and not just the exposure level , like hdr is.
0 Likes
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options
You can long hold the screen in camera mode to kind of lock the autofocus point per shot , not sure if that would work for you.

I agree the autofocus can be awkward at times though
0 Likes
GingerSteve
Helping Hand
Options
Are you talking about selfies or portraits of other people using your main camera ?
The wide angle on the Samsung doesnt appear to have software to correct wide angle distortion, I know apps like lightroom and others might have such features but they are post shot , not pre shot, so might impact even more on image quality.

The distortion is worse on any wide angle the closer your image is to the camera lens...so even my old canon 1d mark 2 with my wide angle primes if I stood too close to the subject would distort.
Appearing as bigger forehead, nose , etc ....so it's a case of moving the camera slightly further from the subject or if not possible, then lessen the angle at which the camera is being held, example hold it so the lens is more at eye level
0 Likes
dualcitizen
First Poster
Options

Referring to the picture that you uploaded, the composition that you chose is challenging for the A70 focusing system.  The dirt marks on the windshield are enough to confuse the A70s focusing system because it is right in front of the lighted numbers of the petrol station.  My guess is that this is probably the reason why the camera chose to focus on the dashboard instead.   The dashboard is closest to the camera and it takes up a large picture area.  If the subject matter is important to you, try taking more than one picture.  Take some outside of the car and just point the A70 on the lighted numbers.   

0 Likes
Apenkar
Journeyman
Options

Hi have you managed to resolve it, my A70 camera is exactly the same (stuck on live focus mode) even on the main camera and I use my camera a lot so it is really frustrating

0 Likes
Ucube
First Poster
Options

Even A50 camera result is better than A70. Repenting after selling me A50 and a51. I don't know why but it's happening that picture processing is not good. While taking pictures it seems like i am having good picture.

When I access my photo from gallery it keep like bulry feels like it's not yet processed properly.

0 Likes
Apenkar
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, to be honest my camera was fine before but all of a sudden it became noticeably worse. The camera is alright to begin with but now its unusable!

0 Likes
Apenkar
Journeyman
Options
UPDATE: Weak camera module on A70, got mine replaced for free using warranty
0 Likes
SimonF1
Apprentice
Options

My A70 camera is terrible i can aim it at something tough the screen on the part i want in focus, and it focuses on it lovely and clear, then when i press the button to take the picture it does another autofocus make's it all blurry then takes the photo, It's so annoying so much so that I'm not getting another Samsung phone as this is just one problem of many with Samsung phones. Is there a way to turn that ***** autofocus off does anyone know?

20210327_210238.jpg20210327_210325.jpg 

0 Likes
Apenkar
Journeyman
Options
I had the same issue, unfortunately buddy you'll have to get it replaced. I had mine under warranty so luckily they took it as a hardware defect. The sensor is very fragile in the camera and if you dropped it by accident it might have shifted or distorted the lens. I get it's completely frustrating and I have done the world and back in resetting the phone, camera etc. before I took it up with Samsung, so my best bet would be to try and speak to Samsung about it. Hope it gets resolved!