Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A53 - Crackling/distorted sound

(Topic created on: 02-02-2023 06:19 PM)
MrCorner
Apprentice
Options
Hey. Bought my A53 a few days ago - No issues, phone worked perfectly. Order a case from Amazon and as soon as I put the case on the sound became crackly and tinny. I guessed it might have been a fault with the case, so sent it back and got an official Samsung one from the Samsung store - Still the same problem - So it surely cannot be the case?? Anyone else had this issue? Cheers

22 REPLIES 22
Badger42
Helping Hand
Options
I use my A53 with a carbon case for protection brought from eBay with no sounds issues.
MrCorner
Apprentice
Options
That's for the reply mate. I'll take a look at it if you have a link for it?
MrCorner
Apprentice
Options
Finally figured out the problem! Took my phone into my local samsung store and it turns out the camera lens protector was causing the issue - Who knew? The engineer at Samsung advised that putting the camera lens protector on actually covers a small and unseen mic/noise sensor which sits inside the camera unit very close to the external surface of the phone. When I didn't have a case on the phone, the sensor was able to function with the lens protector on (for reasons unknown to me). But when the a case was put on the phone it caused almost a complete obstruction to the sensor resulting in loss of speaker functionality! This is apparently a common but lesser known issue with some Samsung models.

So top tip for A53 owners - Do not put an aftermarket camera lens protector on your phone WITH a case. You'll have to pick either one or the other. I have now chosen a case which raises the camera unit to give a few millimeters of clearance from any surface the phone is place down on. Fingers crossed that will be adequate protection.
Crossfire905
First Poster
Options

After putting on a screen protector and the lens protector, my sound was just fine, but it suddenly became absolutely terrible — extremely distorted, as if something was being overdriven — as soon as I put the phone in the case.

After reading your reply, I removed my lens protector, and that did indeed fix my distortion problem. It continued to work properly when I put the case [which I had thought was the problem] back on afterward. Then, just for an experiment, I also put the lens protector back on, and the sound is still good.

Maybe the lens protector just needed to be moved a tiny bit? To just not be exactly where it had been? I don't know.

0 Likes
Rodent
Apprentice
Options

I just picked up an A53 for an upgrade for my wife. Added a screen protector and also the lens protector and put the phone is an Ottorbox (the light one) .. After getting the phone up and running I too noticed terrible sound from the speakers when playing music or videos. It was distorted and almost like the speakers were blown. Once I removed the Lens protector and only the the Lens protector as suggested here, the sound was perfect. Thanks for adding this issue. DO NOT install a "LENS" protector 

stip0117
First Poster
Options

Thank you so much!

VikingPoet
Student
Options
Thank you! I have only had the phone for a week and thought I had gotten a faulty device. Taken the lens protector off and fixed it instantly! Ordered an Otterbox case so hopefully that will give it enough protection
JanDrbusek
First Poster
Options

Interesting, I have some clear lens protection in the back of the phone, covering all except flash and I have plastic/rubber case. In my case, sometimes speakers are heavily crackling, sometimes they don't and lens and case are always on the phoen.

0 Likes