Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A50 soaked up water like a sponge

(Topic created on: 01-09-2019 01:58 PM)
Gaz5462
Apprentice
Options

Hi, can anyone help. My wife's brand new (3 weeks!!) A50 has just died after I was taking photos of our daughter in the pool. It's supposed to be water resistant to 1.5 metres for 30 minutes. I was at the surface for about 3 minutes when screen died. On getting out and drying it off the lenses are now all full of condensation and the speaker was full of water I made sure that I held the USB port and headphone Jack out the water. Anyone got any tips or help how to dry it out! I swim with my galaxy watch all the time and somehow stupidly trusted Samsungs IP68 rating!

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's not good @Gaz5462    😞

The phone is ip68 Water resistant  but is not waterproof I'm afraid.

So if water does manage to get into the phone it can cause issues which wouldn't be covered by the manufacturing warranty.

If this was my phone I'd wash it with clean water to remove any choline from the pool water and use the rice method leaving it in a warm place such as an airing cupboard. Do not turn it on.

Then in a few days take a look and if it appears to have dried out then turn it on.

The problems also if water gets into the phone is that future issues may arise from the motherboard during up from the water. In extreme cases mould etc.

A Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can take a look but they may levy a charge.

That or use any insurance to make a claim.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Gaz5462
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I'm just gutted. Manufacturers can make these headlines claims shouting about "can withstand being submerged for 30 minutes down to 1.5m" but if you do it, they then put way at the back of their warranty in teeny tiny writing "water damage not covered" 

The headline photo for the A50 on this website is even someone doing windsurfing in the sea! Its going to get wet doing that!! 

0 Likes
Qwerty7
Helping Hand
Options

Despite the image on the website of surfing, the A50 does not have an ip68 rating. I do agree that the image was very misleading and considering previous a devices had ip68 you would expect the A50 to have it too

0 Likes