Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A40 Turning Off

(Topic created on: 25-05-2020 09:40 PM)
TypingThisNow
Journeyman
Options

Hi can anyone help, my A40 came up with the overheating icon, although the phone wasn't in use or felt hot at the time. Now every time I turn it on it just shuts down again. Has anyone else had this or any idea how I solve the problem. Thank you.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Robbie-35
Troubleshooter
Options

@TypingThisNow i have done a wee bit of digging on the internet alot of the things i have read its a problem with the charger or the charging port. The phone must not have enough power in it to even power up thats why it hasnt went any further if u do manage to get it back on just be prepared to have nothing on your phone i suggest u try a diffrent charger a genuine samsung charger if uve got 1 also try cleaning the charging port  just make sure u dont damage it or get it wet u could try a wee cotten bud if none of that works then im afraid your going to need to go back to were u purchased it from they will send it away for u to get it repaired.

View solution in context

13 REPLIES 13
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @TypingThisNow 

If you have a case on the phone then for now take it off if you haven't already.

Give the phone a little time to fully cool.

You could try a factory reset after backing up but I'm not fully convinced this would clear the issue.

If this persists then I think your going to need support from Samsung via a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre when they re open after the COVID-19 pandemic ends.

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

TypingThisNow
Journeyman
Options

Hi thanks for getting back, no phone case on it and I can't do a reset because the phone won't turn on, have tried contacting Samsung support but they are always to busy. Definitely the last Samsung phone I will ever had, had Huawei for years and never any problems 🙄😪.

0 Likes
Robbie-35
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @TypingThisNow  i have a galaxy a40 and never had this issue if u cant get the device to fully boot up u can boot it into the recovery menu were u can factory reset it from there just hold power button and volume up as the phone restarts or turns on keep them held in till it boots into the recovery menu then use the volume up or down to select factory reset hope this helps.

TypingThisNow
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Rob1985 I will give that a try, not sure if I should leave it off for another 24hrs though? 

Robbie-35
Troubleshooter
Options

@TypingThisNow  u could do as when the phone factory resets it does heat up a bit while it deletes and loads everything again would even leave it till tommorow morning then try it hope you get it fixed.

TypingThisNow
Journeyman
Options

Just tried to do the reset but I don't think it did it because it turned straight off again. I have taken out the sim though, thought I could use my old phone whilst trying to sort this. Also thought the battery might be dead as hasn't been charged since Sunday night, when I plugged it in it came up with the overheating symbol again, even though it hasn't been switched on for over 24 hours?? Sorry if I'm missing the basics but I'm an over 60 technophobe 🙄

0 Likes
Robbie-35
Troubleshooter
Options

@TypingThisNow did u manage to get into the recovery menu ? And also get to click the factory reset ? It definetly could need charged if u last charged it on sunday it also could be your charger let me do a bit of digging around the internet if i can find anything a will post back. It could of done the reset but it just doesnt have the power in the battery to turn the phone on or do anything have u got another charger u could try ?

0 Likes
TypingThisNow
Journeyman
Options

I did get to the factory reset then tapped the power button to accept the option but the phone just turned off again, it didn't appear to do anything. I really appreciate all your help. Oh and I don't know if this makes a difference but the phone is only 6 weeks old 😪

0 Likes
Solution
Robbie-35
Troubleshooter
Options

@TypingThisNow i have done a wee bit of digging on the internet alot of the things i have read its a problem with the charger or the charging port. The phone must not have enough power in it to even power up thats why it hasnt went any further if u do manage to get it back on just be prepared to have nothing on your phone i suggest u try a diffrent charger a genuine samsung charger if uve got 1 also try cleaning the charging port  just make sure u dont damage it or get it wet u could try a wee cotten bud if none of that works then im afraid your going to need to go back to were u purchased it from they will send it away for u to get it repaired.