Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

A40 Android 11 Mobile HotSpot

(Topic created on: 19-04-2021 10:22 AM)
hucha
Explorer
Options

Since an update to Android 11, Mobile Hotspot on my A40 is very buggy.

Its like the toggle for on/off isn't working,it usually takes 5-6 tries for it to turn it on/off.

It is the same when clicking from quick access menu or from settings.

Hopefully this gets fixed in the future because it is very annoying.

54 REPLIES 54
Nightflame
Explorer
Options

What other problems are there with Android 11 on the A40?

I am holding off upgrading for now, but keep getting the nag upgrade.

Is it worth it, or best to wait until Samsung fix other issues?

0 Likes
gggeek
Journeyman
Options

@Nightflame Other issues I have had since the upgrade:

- battery draining quicker

- fingerprint recognition being much more finicky

- a dns issue for virtual machines running in a pc connected to the phone's wifi hotspot (that one I am not 100% sure being caused by android, it might be an ubuntu update problem as well)

The battery drain might in fact have been fixed by installing the second android upgrade, or by wiping the app cache and rebooting, as it seems to be better now

0 Likes
Astrida88
Journeyman
Options

I have the same problem. Still no update here - I am from Poland. I can't wait when I get one. Mobile phone hotspot is the ONLY internet connection fro my laptop and tablet and I work remotely so I urgently need it working! Seriously! I bought the phone literally 4 days ago and I already experience that kind of problems! Samsung should be ashamed! Do your testing before you air an update!

There seem to be 2 problems with the hotspot on my phone.

1. The hotspot button is blinking when I hit it but nothing happens, it turns grey. Restaring the phone fixes that, but I can't restart the phone everytime I need to use internet! Especially since it started to turn on slowly after the android 11 update.

2. Sometimes even If the hotspot icon actually stays blue my laptop says it managed to connect to the network but the network has "no internet connection" - it fixes after a few minutes but it's annoying. And it returns to 1. if I try to fix it by disconecting and reconnecting the hotspot.

Also - I was really happy with old hotspot settings (android 9 or  10, not sure which one becasue I updated them nigth after night). It let me choose which devieces can connect to the network by their mac adress. I wish the "only allow this and this deveice to connect to the hotspot" option was back.   

oshpareniydex
Journeyman
Options

Support team from "Samsung Members" app suggested general reset:

We recommend you to make a general reset of the device (Settings - General Settings - Reset - Data Reset). With this option, all user data from the system
memory, including contacts, messages and applications installed from Google Play, is deleted. Therefore, it is recommended to save all important data
before reset. You can save the data with this program Smart Switch. It is also necessary
to delete the Google Account before resetting (Settings - Cloud and Accounts - Accounts - Google - delete account).

Hardly believe some users will dare to perform general reset. In short, so far there's no resolution but rolling back to Android 10. Sadly...

0 Likes
skandigraun
Explorer
Options

This does not seem to solve the issue. I have installed it on Saturday, immediately after I got the notification, but I have the same problem right at this very moment, can't turn on mobile hot spot.

Ehhh... I guess it's  just Samsung, as usual.

enmahhdi95
Student
Options

Think this is a default machine answering and i got the same solution from them.

I did reset the phone and also tried hard reset and wipe all too, still the problem exists.

Every time i must reboot to turn the hotspot on. It's really annoying.

Come on Samsung support! You can do better:)

Astrida88
Journeyman
Options

About the dns issue - try manually adding APN with the data provided by your network provider and add ",dun" in your APN Type (it should look something like this: "default,supl,dun"), then restart your phone or turn airplane mode on and off to apply the changes. Apparently it fixes the dns issue in Android 11 hotspot. I found the solution in another phone forum. The hotspot is still buggy (won't turn on till a few tries or a phone reset) but it probably solved a "connected, no data" error in my laptop. 

About battery drain I can't really compare because I bought the phone just recently but I did a cache wipe (in volumeup+power boot menu) and turned off background for most apps and my phone went from 100 to 94% during 6h 15min of sleep. Is it good, is it bad?  

Fingerprint seems to be working fine for now. 

Astrida88
Journeyman
Options

Is it possible to roll back to Android 10? I would happily do that but as far I know it reguires external apps and connecting the phone to a laptop through usb in service mode. Which could turn your phone into a real brick if something goes wrong. 

0 Likes
gggeek
Journeyman
Options

@Astrida88 thx for the suggestion with the dns.

To be honest, I am a bit loath to change that config - I had to do that in the past in situations such as a phone gotten from operator A in country X being used with operator B in country Y, or when using "fresh" network operators whose configs were not yet added to the phone's rom (or sim) defaults. It always worked for a while, but gave problems in the long run and had to be rolled back - at which point the original config was always long forgotten 🙂

The workaround which I applied, and am happy with so far, is to change the dns config in my vm to always use 8.8.8.8 instead of the server gotten from dhcp. It's not like the dns of the phone carrier is doing any special resolution for my LAN anyway. It was a quick win, mostly because, luckily, the dns works fine for the windows laptop connected to the phone hotspot which runs the VMs.

I might still give your suggestion a shot when I have some spare time and come back with the results, in case anyone else has the same issue.

0 Likes
delboyuk2508
Explorer
Options

We shouldn't have to mess around with any setting really, we should just download any updates they give us and expect everything to work as it should. This is obviously an issue with the latest update and we should wait for them to fix it ASAP!!

Come on Samsung in the words of Prince Philip "Get on with it"!!