Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A22 5G Poor sound on recorded videos

(Topic created on: 27-07-2022 05:02 PM)
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

The recorded sound on videos is 'boxed in' sounding, slightly wavy/echoey. 

I'm recording on Samsung camera app, FHD....never had this problem with old S7 Edge, and wife's A21 seems ok.

I also use RecForge for audio recordings and in auto record level mode same problem...but when I disable this in app and go for manual level control the sound improves.

This leads me to suspect its something to do with auto gain control in phone, but no settings I can apply.

Anyone else had this and any suggestions ? Thanks

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14
Hartebeest
First Poster
Options

I've had what appears to be the same problem with my A22 5G for months (since I got it). Any recorded audio is warbly and tinny as if something is trying (and failing) to perform some process on the sound as it's being stored.  I also considered whether it might be some kind of over-zealous automatic gain control trying to adjust volume up and down for every individual note and beat.

I found it happened with the Voice Recorder app just as badly as with the camera recording video.

I'd left mine in with my local Samsung shop for repair under warranty for this problem last week.  They changed the mainboard and some tape-connected module (lower mic maybe?) but when I got it back it was just the same.  It's back with them now to be re-examined.

If it's still the same when I get it back this time I must give your RecForge suggestion a go.  I'll let you know.

0 Likes
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for reply - I web chatted Samsung Support .....they asked me to update to Android 12 which should be available...but not for my phone yet. They have suggested a factory reset which I'll try when I return from hols. If that doesn't work they have given me phone number to take in for repair...would be interested to hear how you get on, and will keep you posted

0 Likes
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

Update - Android 12 now received and installed - no change.

0 Likes
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

Hi - I wonder if you'd got any further with video sound problem?   My nearest repair centre is an hour away, just considering pros and cons of going there or posting and living without the smartphone for a while....did the 2nd repair attempt work ok ?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Real Dj Fire
Journeyman
Options

I bought mine about 4 months ago.  Same problem here.  Did a factory reset and my local Samsung dealer did a software reset.  Nothing helped.  Then they decided to replace the main board and the sub. Just got it back, still the same awful soundquality while recording.  Don't know if this is a production error or just a crappy phone with cheap, low quality sound processing.  Samsung should really work on this or take it out of the stores.

0 Likes
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your info, I decided not to send my phone in for repair, too much hassle and I felt there was little chance they would acknowledge or recognise the fault - your experience seems to bear this out. I did all the factory reset stuff and got latest version of Android, no change.  The Rec Forge audio recorder with AGC disabled sorts out audio recordings. I got a copy of Open Camera app, and in 'video settings/audio source' I checked the option 'optimise for voice recognition' and this has improved video sound. - why, I dont know!

0 Likes
Real Dj Fire
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the extra info 😉

0 Likes
ashcloud9
Student
Options
I too have the same issue was wondering if it may be to do with noise cancellation..when I record my guitar it comes out quite fazzy and its awful
0 Likes
MtnDave
Apprentice
Options

I think its probably to do with their auto gain control software, or possibly circuitry...because disabling the auto gain using RecForge App, cures it, and you can set your own input level too.

I don't think there's much chance of getting Samsung to recognise or fix it based on above thread - Samsung are totally impenetrable - somewhere someone at Samsung will know the answer, but they're much too big to bother with us.