Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a10e Double Tap to Wake - needed - accessibility for elderly and vision impaired

(Topic created on: 23-01-2020 08:11 PM)
ERS37
First Poster
Options

a10e is a great phone that hits for the elderly and vision-impaired: fair price + easy mode + large, bright screen in a nice form factor = near perfection.

BUT it needs Double Tap to Wake or Lift to Wake. These folks (like my grandmother who just got an a10e) have great trouble finding something like the little power button necessary to wake the phone/screen.

Please add Double Tap to the accessibility and it would greatly benefit a phone that's perfect for this simple-user demographic! (even if it's the cost of battery life. These people are not power users constantly on their phone... the battery in their use last well-longer than for those of us who use more intensive apps)

13 REPLIES 13
AndrewL
Options
@ERS37: I think this option might be available in Settings > Advanced Features > Motions and Gestures > Double Tap To Wake, flip the switch to the right (reference point was the US user manual, p105, therefore the feature may be regionally specific).

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201906/20190619051742388/SPT_SM-A102U_SM-A205U_EN_UM_P_...
0 Likes
Linx
Apprentice
Options

It's not available on the US version of the A10e...And it should be!

KoloheWiz
Student
Options

If you'd actually read the entire section in the User Manual location cited you would know that it says this: "Turn on the screen by double-tapping instead of using the Power key. This is featured on the Galaxy A20 only". As it clearly states from User Manual page 105 this feature is ONLY on the A20 NOT the A10e. It amazed me how people cannot seem to comprehend what they have read when it could not be any more clearly stated. There is no regional issue here whatsoever as the feature was NEVER part of the A10e!!!

Beware of technology as it will eventually be used against you.
0 Likes
KoloheWiz
Student
Options

It's not available on any version of the A10e as is clearly stated in the User Manual. There are already apps in the Play Store that will enable this on virtually any Android device.

0 Likes
jonathan88
First Poster
Options

Will this be in another update?

KoloheWiz
Student
Options

Since Samsung is smartly more interested in future devices and their features, it is highly doubtful that it will be included in any update. Another reason it likely won't be in any update is that there are already apps available that will enable this feature. Have you tried checking in the Google play store for apps that will accomplish this for you? Just search for 'double tape to wake' and choose the one you want. Simple. Fast. Convenient and available now.

0 Likes
CondalezaRice
First Poster
Options

Malware, malware, malware. These types of apps require very elevated privileges, which is a bad idea for randomly chosen third-party apps. I just looked at the top two most-downloaded, and they essentially require admin-level rights to run. Installing those types of apps is a horrible idea. That functionality should be provided through a well-known channel (Google or Samsung, IMO).

Boogienights
Pathfinder
Options

Agree id rather use samsungs, i use double tap love it on A40  , Perhaps it has to be Amoled, yours is TFT Screen 

0 Likes
HLS
First Poster
Options

I agree completely with the thought that the a10e needs a 'wake up on double tap'. In fact I was just going to purchase one for Tracfone today based on its price and capabilities (even though I have almost half a year service on my existing phone, a Motorola e5). When I realized I needed to always press the power key to wake up the a10e I backed out. I had a Samsung in the past that behaved like that and did not like it near as much as my LG which had the function. Since the function is configurable on the A20 why would you not put on all phones. Much easier to double tap than to hit power key, which may have a case with membrane on the power key to make it even harder to find and hit.

That is my 2 cents.