Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's SamsungMagicianSVC and why is it doing so much I/O?

(Topic created on: 14-12-2022 03:12 AM)
szx
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Today I fired up the task manager and added the I/O read bytes and I/O write bytes columns to it, and noticed that SamsungMagicianSVC.exe has read more thatn 200GB and written 4GB to my disk(s). I have two Samsung 870 EVO SSDs and a QVO 870 SSD inside my PC.

I wonder why it does so much reading of my disk? I haven't used Samsung Magician since the time I turend on my PC, so it's definitely not caused by speed benchmarks and whatnot  So this must be due to some activity in the background by the service.

Can anybody from Samsung (or not) clarify what this service does and why it needs to read so much data?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi, it is a software for Samsung SSD. 

Quote from Samsung -

Samsung Magician is the service used to optimize Samsung solid state drives (SSDs), helping users to monitor drive health, manage and protect data, and maximize performance. We consider it an essential service for keeping drives running smoothly and securely.

https://news.samsung.com/us/magician-software-update-for-samsung-ssd-users/#:~:text=Samsung%20Magici....

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-ssd-magician-7-software-experience-enhance/

0 Likes
szx
Apprentice
Options

I know what Samsung Magician is. The question is about the system service SamsungMagicianSVC that is running in the background. I don't use Samsung Magician and it's been removed from Autostart, but this service keeps doing something. I want to understand what it does.

0 Likes
ThienVo
First Poster
Options

It's frustrating when this service logs EventLog every 10s continuously, causing the computer to slow down
Only one this info "The operation completed successfully." repeat 10s in EventLogs

0 Likes
Members_mqiE5lT
First Poster
Options

Hi,

for me the background activity from SamsungMagicianSVC.exe stopped as soon as I disabled the "Collect data of drive's status and performance" option inside the regular Samsung Magician settings. When this option is disabled, the service has 0% CPU usage and no I/O activity anymore.

However, the service will still be started and take approx. 12MB of memory...
This can only be avoided by uninstalling Samsung Magician.

Hope this helps and works the same for you too.

0 Likes