Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very faint beeping in Portable SSD T7

(Topic created on: 26-12-2021 05:16 PM)
Leosam
Journeyman
Options

I got my Samsung Portable SSD T7 a week ago. It seems to be working fine. However, when I plug it in my Windows laptop it in a very quiet place, I can hear very faint beeps coming out of it ever 3 seconds or so. It is something I cannot hear during normal daytime - I can just about notice it in the quiet of the night. Is this normal? Can other people hear such beeping in their T7?

Having said this, I also have had a Portable SSD T5 since about 2 years. That T5 sounds quiet even in the middle of the night. However... If I put the T5 right on my ear while it is plugged into the laptop, I *can* hear some beeping from inside it. And that T5 has worked fine for at least 2 years.

So I am wondering what to make of this slightly "louder" (comparatively speaking) beeping in T7. Should I be worried? Or should I just get on with using it?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Beeping? It's more likely capacitor squeal. There won't be many capacitors in there, possibly one or two but there's no speaker to beep
0 Likes
Leosam
Journeyman
Options

@antikythera

Yup, it's beeping. And I bought this SSD T7 from Samsung website, so presumably it's genuine.

I am attaching a video with the beeps in it. There are no visuals in the video - just the audio in it. I recorded the sound by placing my Samsung Galaxy phone's microphone right on top of the SSD T7 in the middle of the night (to minimise the ambient noise). I had to amplify the volume using the video editor. Still, you will have to turn your volume right up to be able to hear the beeps. Ignore the other background noise, which is mainly the microphone brushing against the SSD and the clock in my room ticking. In fact, by comparing the volume of the clock ticking sound with the beep volume, you can get an idea of how faint the beeping is.

0 Likes
Ricks
First Poster
Options

Hello, i have same issue with my ssd as well

Do you manage to find a solution? 

0 Likes
Leosam
Journeyman
Options
Didn't find a solution, but I have continued using the SSD. It seems to be working OK - no breakdowns or anything - so I guess the sound must be from the internal electronics.

Not sure if this is related, but the SSD T7 isn't as fast as I was expecting. I use it to do regular backup images of my laptop and this process takes the same amount of time as it takes on an external HDD. The SSD T7 is not faster than either the T5 or an external HDD. It just makes more noise. Didn't expect this from Samsung and I am disappointed.
0 Likes