Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Samsung Magician due to vulnerability detected

(Topic created on: 11-10-2021 03:43 AM)
zunayeds
First Poster
Options

I'm trying to install Samsung Magician 7.0 on my laptop which has Samsung 970 EVO SSD as primary storage.

It shows an error as in the image.

zunayeds_0-1633919956729.png

OS details:
Windows 11 Home Single Language
Version 21H2

Screenshot from Device Manager:

zunayeds_1-1633920021361.png

#SSD

#970EVO

8 REPLIES 8
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Apply today's Patch Tuesday updates for W11 and try again. You also may need to temporarily disable ransomware protection in Windows Defender to get Magician installed properly.
mccarthy1993
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same issue now, same drive - Samsung 970 EVO SSD (2TB C: drive on laptop).  Only differences:

• I'm on Windows  10.
  • I made sure all updates/patches were installed.
  • Ransomware protection is disabled.

Tried downloading the installer from the Samsung website, same problem. Tried running as administrator, same problem. Keep getting that same message: "A vulnerability was detected. The program will be closed"...

Any suggestions? 

UPDATE: I found a work-around - run SM 7.0 as administrator and update from within the app. Happy days 😁.

Would be good to know the cause of the issue though... anyone from Samsung lingering in these forums with an answer? 😋

woyvch
Student
Options

Make a folder on the desktop with nothing inside of it and extract the zip file into there rather than just desktop or moving the extracted contents.
Run the installer with administrator privileges.

brenden77
First Poster
Options

Thank you. I know this was a year ago, but I only had this on windows 11 and you saved me some time.

0 Likes
iZephyrus
First Poster
Options

Work like a charm. Thank you.

0 Likes
_Ilya__
Student
Options

I downloaded EXE file so there were no archives but following your advice I created a folder on the Desktop, moved the EXE there and ran as admimistrator - it did work. Running in Downloads folder didn't work. Thank you!

dportela
First Poster
Options

Thank you for this answer. It worked like a charm!

0 Likes
SterlingAshes
First Poster
Options

Oh my god, I literally made an account to echo that this does in fact work—I almost didn't try it because I thought that the problem was related to temporary directories from the zip file, but surely enough, it doesn't like the Downloads folder either (even if you've moved yours from its default location). I'm not interested in finding out whether it really only wants a folder on the desktop—I don't care, it worked and that's what matters.

I'm going to go bang my head against my desk for a few hours and contemplate life.

0 Likes