Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T7 Shield keep coming unplugged

(Topic created on: 05-02-2023 06:02 AM)
Mafu1
Student
Options

The cable just doesn't hold. I have several T5's and T7's but the T7 Shield......... Enough said. 

Is this a fault, does anyone else have this issue ? Any quick solutions apart from glueing the plug into the socket ?

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Mafu1 

How long have you had your SSD, and have you been in touch with the retailer regarding this? We're assuming it's been like this since you bought it.

0 Likes
Mafu1
Student
Options

Thank you for replying Chris,

I didn't get in touch with the retailer. It has been like this since I bought it in September 2022. I have put a roll of sticky tape around it which has helped somewhat. I'm guessing Amazon will just offer a refund so I will try and contact the people at Samsung and inform them of the issue. I have since gone back to using the T7 non shield.

0 Likes
faefox
First Poster
Options

I'm experiencing the exact same thing, and it's mind-wrecking. The smallest whiff can make it disconnect while lying flat on the table. I'm using it with a random USB-C cable for now, and amazingly, it's more stable. I'll return it to the retailer, I hope it's just a coincidence and it's not a general problem with the T7 Shield. I would like it to work :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
Long_LPF
First Poster
Options

I've had this frustrating experience for several months until one day I thought I'd try a different cable and after going through a lot of random USB-C cables that I have lying around at home, I finally found one that was snug and wouldn't fall out. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
pgrant
First Poster
Options

Let me just add you're not crazy, the T7Shield's plug really does suck.

I bought two T7Shield drives about 6 months ago. One came in the flat blue color box, and the second came in the new photographic background box. The flat blue color box is from an older run, and had a firm "click" connection. The newly manufactured drive in the fancier box never had that click sound, and the cable was loose... I returned it.

Recently picked up a blue T7, and was shocked to experience how much better its connection was than either of the kept or returned T7shield's were.

It's now summer 2023, and I just ordered a new T7shield black. Let's hope this newer batch has a better connection, or it's being returned as well.

0 Likes
Bahar22
First Poster
Options

Does the last one you ordered have a good port or was it loose as well? I really want to buy this drive but the loose port stories are quite many.

0 Likes
Mark S1
First Poster
Options

I had the same issue with a T7 shield 4TB that I bought in July 2023. After a rather difficult warranty service process that included the rep trying to blame it on third party cables and only offering to send a cable, I finally was able to get a replacement in October.
It behaves exactly the same way. Nearly every USB-C data cable I own will result in disconnections when the drive is jostled in the slightest, even when the cable remains plugged in. Some worse than others, but not a single one has a reliable connection. These same cords work flawlessly with every other device I own, including a Sandisk Extreme 4TB. As a result, this Samsung "portable" drive is relegated to my office and very limited use as a data backup drive.
It's very disappointing, especially disappointing that Samsung dodges responsibility for an obvious, widespread design or manufacturing defect.
I cannot recommend for any serious use.

0 Likes
Mark S1
First Poster
Options

Based on my experience with two defective units in a row, it's a general problem.

0 Likes
Mark S1
First Poster
Options

I had no better luck with my July 2023 T7 Shield, and the October 2023 warranty replacement. Stay away.

0 Likes